DVD tray stuck

joby_51 16:11 18 Apr 2005

I recently installed some hardware and the Cd is now stuck in the DVD tray. There is no small pin hole to release the drawer and I am my wits end trying to get it open. I am using windows ME, can anyone PLEASE offer me some advice?

Jak_1 16:17 18 Apr 2005

This happened with me, after trying all usual means I resorted to a bit of brute force, though not excessive. I levered the tray out with a thin knife, you have to be careful though as not to damage it. I found once it was out a short way it then came out the rest of the way under it's own steam.

A bit drastic but worked for me and has not been a problem since.

Yoda Knight 16:17 18 Apr 2005

Go to My Computer, right click the drive letter, choose eject.

PUNKA 17:43 18 Apr 2005

Electricity and thin knives= Electrocution,if not turned off first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 18 Apr 2005

Certain programs lock the tray and therefore pressing the eject button does nothing.

DO NOT FORCE THE TRAY this will damage the gearing and lasers.

Use the program's (Power DVD, Nero)stop and eject icon to open the DVD player.

joby_51 19:04 18 Apr 2005

Ok, I've got the tray open now, thanks for your help, However, it won't allow me to close it now. Not having much luck at all. It makes a sound as though it's resisting against cogs. Is there anything else I can do?

joby_51 19:04 18 Apr 2005

Ok, I've got the tray open now, thanks for your help, However, it won't allow me to close it now. Not having much luck at all. It makes a sound as though it's resisting against cogs. Is there anything else I can do?

alexgray104 19:19 18 Apr 2005

Buy a new dvd tray! They're only about a tenner.

joby_51 16:40 19 Apr 2005

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, the tray is now broken, never mind, I got the DVD out and I still have a CD RW. I have removed the entry from my hardware list so that should be the end of it...on with the other problems now.

Dirty Dick 16:47 19 Apr 2005

Don't forget when using the thin knife - put you left foot in a bucket of water !!!!!

Mr Mistoffelees 17:06 19 Apr 2005

Less than £20 for a new DVD drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement