DVD RW Problem and Secondary IDE control problem

Kernal1873 23:16 08 Jan 2004

Hi Guys

I wonder of any one can help with a couple of problems that I am encountering with my P.Cs.

My first PC is a p4 2.6 GHz PC running XPHome. I have recently purchased a Sony DWU10 +/- DVD Rewriter which due to the size of my case I linked up to my machine via a 5.25” USB2 housing kit via a 2.0 USB connection.

The problem I am encountering is that when I attempt to play back a DVD movie it plays for 2-3 seconds and the hangs up. The software I am using Power DVD functions perfectly when I use it with my DVD rom drive, does anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem.

The second problem I have is with my 2nd PC which is a P3 550 running 98SE last week the power supply failed on the pc, so I replaced it and restarted the machine all seems to be fine except that the DVD ROM and CDRW are not being recognised by Windows. The machine is checking both of these drives during its post checks.

When I check the device manager the CDRW is not shown at all and the status of the DVD is that the device is not working properly because a device that it depends on Secondary IDE control has been dynamically disabled.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get windows to recognise both of these drives.

I can provide more info if you require it but that is a summary of the problems I am encountering at present so any help anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Cheers
K.

leo49 23:22 08 Jan 2004

On the second question see this thread

click here

and the 11.32 posting by Big Elf of FE's suggestion re this apparently quite common problem at the moment.

Kernal1873 23:44 08 Jan 2004

thats leo i will give big elf advise a try

Kernal1873 02:00 10 Jan 2004

I solved the 2nd problem it turned to be a fault ide cable anyone any ideas about the other problem i have with the DVD rw it seem s to be cuting out after a few seconds of burning/reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?