DVD-RW & Motherboard Compatibility

HenryVII 11:10 08 Jul 2008

I have an ASUS P5K SE motherboard and I am thinking of fitting a Samsung SH-S203 DVD writer. Can anyone confirm that I should have no problems with this? After studying the motherboard User Guide I am not sure that I can use the ASUS SATA connectors for the DVD writer.

ambra4 12:17 08 Jul 2008

Just remove the old drive install the new Sata DVD drive on the second Sata port and reboot the

computer XP will see the new DVD drive and install the correct driver

Access the bios and check the boot up setting is correct

HenryVII 12:20 08 Jul 2008

Thanks, ambra4. I didn't mention that my OS is Vista Home Premium, not XP, but I imagine that won't matter.

Woodman2 17:24 07 Feb 2009

I`m using an Advent notebook 7108 with XP.
I`ve just had a number of infections on it that PC Tools did not detect but fortunately Avira did and I now have a clean PC.
One of the side effects when it was infected was the complete loss of function of my DvD Rw. It began to read only, then ceased to do that and finally there was no motor response at all. The only operation left on it was the automatic eject.

I initially tried connecting an external writer but that failed after working a couple of times.
Although I now have a clean PC the problem with the internal and external Writer remains.
Any suggestions please?

Woodman2 17:28 07 Feb 2009

My apologies for posting on the wrong page folks. I was so absorbed looking for references to DvD`s I forgot where I was!

gazzaho 21:08 07 Feb 2009

I have an ASUS Rampage Formula X48 mobo inside the computer I bought in June last year and I've had 2 SATA Samsung optical drives (different models) fail on it within a day or so, one I bought and one was supplied with the machine. After talking with the people where I bought the computer they informed me they were experiencing a 10% failure rate with the mobo and Samsung drives. They sent a Pioneer drive to replace the failed one and it has worked flawlessly. I had to return the one I bought for a refund.

I just thought I'd mention it as you are also using an ASUS mobo, it might be worth googling for the same kind of problems before purchasing one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?