DVD RW Drive

sub0 15:05 14 Nov 2006

Hi.
I have a DVD RW drive. When I want to change the disk in there, I have to 'end task' and reopen explorer for it to realise there's a disk in there.
However, I can't write or read DVDs at all.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Stuartli 15:18 14 Nov 2006

Do you have another optical drive in use as well, such as a ROM drive?

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:29 14 Nov 2006

You can uninstall the drive and reboot, do not uninstall the drivers just the device, if that does not work you might like to uninstall whatever IDE channel its on and reboot. Make a restore point first you should not need it but you can't be too carefulYou can restore autorun/autoplaywith this if required
click here

sub0 16:36 14 Nov 2006

No theres no other drives other than the HD Drive.

Whats 'IDE channel'?

So, in the Device Manager I just uninstall the DVD drive? Then will it automatically recognise it needs to be reinstalled?

Where do I make a restore point?

Thanks!

Stuartli 16:49 14 Nov 2006

Try uninstalling the drive first from Device Manager and rebooting.

If this doesn't work then, as Hertz Van Rentyl suggests, go back to the Device Manager, and in IDE controllers highlight the Secondary IDE Channel>Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab and ensure that Use DMA if Available is listed (also worth checking in the Primary IDE Channel as well for this as well to ensure that your hard drive uses it).

Then still in the Secondary IDE Channel's Properties, choose Uninstall and reboot.

Check agin that DMA is still used if available.

Stuartli 16:50 14 Nov 2006

A restore point is made from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Follow the instructions. You can always revert back to the point from which you did a system restore.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:04 14 Nov 2006

Restore point should be on the Start/Programs/Accessories/system tools/system restore.
IDE channels as has been said in controlpanel/system/hardware/device manager
If your DMA is not shown and drive is set to PIO then you can fix with this
click here
Click on the link in "quick solution" yor security software will tell you its malicious script, just allow it to load and it will fix any DMA probs.

sub0 17:41 16 Nov 2006

Thanks. I uninstalled the drive and the IDE but it didn't work. It still reads some CDs and all DVDs as 0 bytes of free space and 0 bytes of data.

Is there anything else I could try?

Stuartli 17:50 16 Nov 2006

Try disabling Auto Insert Notification/AutoPlay from the drive's Properties after right clicking the drive from My Computer.

sub0 20:34 16 Nov 2006

No, this didn't work.

From iTunes, I managed to burn files onto a DVD. However, when I try to burn a second lot onto it, it treats it as a blank disk and overwrites what I put on the first time.

The problem is that, even though now I can see the burned-on files in Explorer, Explorer still thinks that there is nothing on the disk and no space on it!
I can see the files in Explorer but it doesn't think there's anything there in the side information!

Don't know if this helps anyone guess what could be wrong...?

Thanks!

Stuartli 00:02 17 Nov 2006

Are you using the disk in multisession form?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?