DVD -RW

Sidetrax 15:26 21 Jan 2006

I need to buy some sort of DVD-R/RW, but I'm confused by all the speeds ect.
All I need to do is burn some short films onto a disk and play then on a DVD player wiht a TV, but which one do I need, a CD-RW/DVD, DVD-RW or DVD ROM Drive?

Any help would be great thanks.
Sam

Thalmus 15:35 21 Jan 2006

You can buy writters that burn all formats for about £30 click here

I personaly use DVD+R's as they seem to write quicker than DVD-R's, i never use DVD-RW

Thalmus 15:36 21 Jan 2006

Oh, and if you want to make DVD's to player on your DVD player thats connected to your TV you will need some kind of software, i personally use Nero

dms05 15:52 21 Jan 2006

Seconded. I do exactly the same and use +R for the same reason.

Not sure in what form your films are but you might consider a DVD Recorder and throw out the old VHS machine as well!

johndrew 16:37 21 Jan 2006

IMHO you would be wise to ensure your DVD player will take the type of disks you record to. Some don`t like +R/RW as I found to my cost.

Your DVD manual will tell you what it will play in the specifications section.

johndrew 16:37 21 Jan 2006

IMHO you would be wise to ensure your DVD player will take the type of disks you record to. Some don`t like +R/RW as I found to my cost.

Your DVD manual will tell you what it will play in the specifications section.

pj123 17:02 21 Jan 2006

Try: click here

the one I have installed in two computers is the LG 4163B have had no problems and play on any DVD player.

mike1967 17:30 21 Jan 2006

Think you'll find +r are the most common and should work in most dvd players

jakimo 11:43 22 Jan 2006

to burn dvd\cd`s buy a dual format drive,you will then be able to burn whatever disc format (+ or -) your standalone dvd player is compatible with

johndrew 15:49 23 Jan 2006

I agree that +R/RW is the most common format. All I am pointing out, as I said above, is that some don`t like the format. I fell foul of it and hope that others don`t; it is quite expensive replacing either the DVD player or DVD-RW drive and discs.

Probably jakimo`s suggestion is the best. Start with a drive that will burn both.

hallc 16:52 23 Jan 2006

Go to click here you can check out all manor of discs, recorders etc
C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?