dvd rom wont work in a specific pc

storme 10:16 05 Feb 2006

i have a dvd rom player at work that wont read any discs.if i take the same player home and install it into my home pc,it works fine.
If i then put it back into my pc at work.It wont read anything.The pc just says the disc is either corrupt or incompatible.
i have tried going to the registry and removing the upper and lower limits as shown on another site..
my flash disc and "a" drive work fine.the pc is and old pentium 600mhz with a nvidia card geforce 2 400mx. it also has xp sp2 installed.and all drivers are upto date.

the only problem is the dvd wont read anything..alto it does attempt to read.
i have also used a cd cleaner to clean the laser.
this made it come up with the error message a lot quicker

storme 10:35 05 Feb 2006

ps...it did work and month or so ago...and it isnt connected to the internet or a lan. and has had no demo discs or similiar loaded....it is just an upload/download pc..with a small amount of cad work

Smiler 11:24 05 Feb 2006

Are the jumpers set correctly on the dvd, have you tried removing the ide cable from the motherboard and refitting?

storme 11:39 05 Feb 2006

yes...it is the only drive on the pc..so it is set to master...i have also tried cable select...and i also put it onto the master ide cable and tried it as a slave to the harddrive...and i have replaced the cable with 1st an old one..then i bought a new one...

storme 20:18 05 Feb 2006

any1??

Smiler 14:08 06 Feb 2006

Have you tried a different dvd or cd in the work pc?

storme 17:24 06 Feb 2006

yes...i took in 2 one a dvd-rw player and one a c-drw
and niether worked in the work pc....

so im sure it is a setting somewhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?