DVD-Rom won't play DVD

McQ 18:21 25 Nov 2006

I'm running Win98SE and my Pioneer DVD-115 works fine as a CDRom and plays audio disks. I fancied getting the dvd version of PCA so tried a DVD movie but it wouldn't play.
Driveinfo21.exe tells me the drive is region protected with:-
Region code: Not set.
User: 5 changes left.
Manufacturer: 4 changes left.

Device Manager shows the firmware revision is 1.08 and the drive is working properly.

Pioneer UK has newer firmware but says only upgrade if you believe this'll remedy your problem(?). Also, Win98 doesn't require any additional drivers to control the drive. I've never added drivers.

I found an old Helpline answer in PCA Issue 91 and followed the advice to extract DVD Player (my MSI MX440SE-T graphics card claims to have DVD and HDTV ready decoding?). DVD Player reports it isn't properly configured and I need either a decoder card or decoder software. I tried Maximus DVD from the cover disc. It accepts the DVD's Video_TS folder as "valid" but won't play. Maximus's region setting tab won't work either?

My lifetime support from Evesham revealed they didn't provide dvd software on backup disc at the time (reinstalls of Win98 have long ago lost whatever they did supply) and they couldn't legally(?) do it now even though I offered to pay.
If dvd software is the issue I can't understand why Maximus won't even set the first of my five region choices? I registered the .ifo, .vob and .bup file types to Maximus.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

De Marcus™ 18:25 25 Nov 2006

You need a codec, try the XP codec pack from click here

SANTOS7 18:26 25 Nov 2006

Media player does not play all DvDs by default, so it maybe a codec prolem, the K-Lite codec pack from the link may help..

SANTOS7 18:27 25 Nov 2006

OOOPS!! link would help click here

McQ 18:29 25 Nov 2006

Cheers. Will try the links now.

McQ 18:30 25 Nov 2006

Cheers, will try the links now. (Not sure first response went through!)

McQ 20:56 25 Nov 2006

Echo off...
I downloaded the XP codec pack and ran Media Player Classic. Worked!

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017