DVD ROM and RW Drive Recommendations?

Gaz W 19:45 26 Apr 2004

I'm looking to get a DVD writer to write +R/-R at 8x, +RW/-RW at 4x and DVD-RAM for around £70.

Here's the catch though - I want it in silver, without any brand names on it, and want to get a matching DVD-ROM drive (16x) that is region free.

Am I asking too much for 2 drives that match my criteria?

I currently have a Samsung CD writer which I want to keep, with the rounded tray. If Samsung make the above items as well it would help to keep my system matching.

Any information/recommendations appreciated,

Gaz

matt1234 20:05 26 Apr 2004

try sony their good

Gaz W 21:17 26 Apr 2004

Have just had a look at a few Sony ones, but there are two problems - one is that they only do -RW at 2x instead of 4x like other drives, and the other is (not as important) that the higher spec drives that can write +/- R discs at 8x instead of 4x all seem to have SONY written on them. They look nice though, but they don't seem to be the best value.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places of course. Can you recommend a Sony that does 8x -R/+R and 4x -RW/+RW?

Gaz W 23:19 26 Apr 2004

Still looking around for drives. Just to sum up what I'm looking for:

DVD-ROM drive (region free or at least hackable) in silver - any make

DVD Writer that does +R and -R in 8x speed and -RW and +RW in 4x speed, and also possibly RAM, although I'm not really bothered about that. The idea is I want this to be the same make, style and colour.

Really the idea was to buy a DVD writer and I thought I might as well replace my Artec 12x DVD-ROM with a 16x model, so it might as well look the same.

woodchip 23:27 26 Apr 2004

Not fast but it's cheap read reviews click here

woodchip 23:32 26 Apr 2004

Supported formats are CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Or for tops click here

Gaz W 23:40 26 Apr 2004

Looked at the LG one but unfortunately it only does -RW at 2x and is beige/black and not silver.

My beige drives in my silver case look awful and I thought getting a silver DVD writer and replacing my DVD-ROM with a matching silver (same make) drive I could improve the looks of my PC.

I know that with some drives you can get different bezels for them but I'd like them to look the same at the front - i.e. same design - if at all possible.

Gaz W 12:58 27 Apr 2004

Any more ideas? Has anyone bought a silver DVD writer they can recommend?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?