DVD Rom not reading disks

ramsay29 13:11 18 Sep 2005

My DVD drive on my HP Pavilion Pc has stopped reading any disks at all. The drive is showing okay in My Computer. When a disk goes in the light flashes for a bit then stops. Tried a lens cleaner cd but wont read it either.

The drive is listed as working okay in device manager.

My machine is of course just out of 1 year warranty.

Any suggestions folks?

Stuartli 13:19 18 Sep 2005

Try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and then rebooting; Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

If it doesn't work then with CDs and/or DVDs and the leads and cables are OK and properly attached, then it would appear that one or both lasers have gone to heaven, although it would be unusual if both went at once.

However, such drives are very inexpensive these days at little more than £10-15.

ramsay29 13:31 18 Sep 2005

Thanks Stuartli

I will give this a try when I get back in later

ramsay29 15:30 18 Sep 2005

Tried it with no luck. Looks like I will have to buy a new drive. My Pc has the flaps that drop down when you push the button to open the drives. Does this make a difference when buying a new dvd drive?

Stuartli 15:35 18 Sep 2005

Shouldn't make any difference, but I would avoid the slot type.

The tray is the most convenient and also seals the innards from dust when closed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?