DVD Rom drive 'not accessible'

wags 09:36 29 Apr 2003

I have a 3 year old PC running 98SE and recently have had a problem with the DVD Rom drive. I cannot eject the drive draw either manually by the switch on the drive or by right clicking the icon and hitting eject under Control Panel. If I left click the icon (E: drive). I get a windows message saying: "E:\is not accessible. The Drive is not ready". The PC then freezes.I have shut down and restarted but it makes no difference. Do you think the DVD Rom has died and needs replacing? Thanks for your help.

DieSse 09:37 29 Apr 2003

Yes.

wags 10:49 30 Apr 2003

Thanks. Are they straightforward to replace, will new drivers be required or will my Matrox DVD player software work with a new drive?

DieSse 13:38 30 Apr 2003

They're very straightforward to replace - just make sure the master/slave jumper on the new one is set to the same as the old one. No drivers are provided, or required.

Your DVD player software may work straight off, or may need a re-install - try it and see - it'll probably be OK.

wags 14:41 30 Apr 2003

Thanks for your advice and help DieSse. I will buy a replacement and see how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?