DVD-ROM drive has vanished!

Mr Hyun 19:08 14 Jan 2004

First a quick lowdown on my comp:

Advent 7011 Notebook 2.4Ghz Pentium 4
256MB RAM
Windows XP
DVD-ROM/CD Burner drive combo

Recently I had decided to backup my data onto CD, using Nero 5. After successfully backing up the data onto CD, I had switched of the laptop until for next time use. Upon returning to the laptop and starting it up, the computer reports to me that it no longer recognises the Secondary Master Drive (the DVD drive), and is ATAPI incompatible. Therefore Windows, no longer recognises an actual DVD drive exists. I've tried using the setup routine on boot, tried altering the settings on the computers CMOS/BIOS interface, but to no avail, it no longer reports the DVD drive. It keeps saying that no drive is installed, even though it is physically there and can take CDs and spit them out with no problems. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong!!!! Has a connection inside the laptop gone loose or something? Please help me!!!! Thanks in advance!

Kitz E Kat 19:17 14 Jan 2004

Have you checked in the device manager ?
Start>right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager....

Is it listed there?

Is there an exclamation mark against it?

Check the driver details, could try update driver ..

Mr Hyun 19:57 14 Jan 2004

Windows or the laptop itself actually doesn't recognise there is a DVD drive at all, so it isn't even listed in the Device Manager. Otherwise I would have been convinced it was a driver problem.

bazzab 21:02 14 Jan 2004

This happened to me on my PC, It turned out to be a loose connection on rear of dvd drive, hope this helps!

dirtyh 21:06 14 Jan 2004

Hello i have come accross this problem twice before,the solution that worked for me is to edit the registry.
If you are confident enough to do this carry on otherwise seek someone who is.
these instructions came straight from microsoft which i saved.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

This may cause cd burning software to malfuntion if so re-install the software,but it didnt with me.Dont forget to backup your registry first,if unsure how to read more here click here
Good luck

AndyJ 22:03 14 Jan 2004

Click on Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Information and see if there's anything listed under Problem Devices.

deggsymann 16:55 15 Jan 2004

i had this problem after i uninstalled easy cd creator from my system.

i did the same as dirty h recommends and all was well.

It is on the microsoft help site (click here;EN-US;314060)

deggsymann 16:57 15 Jan 2004

sorry that link didnt go to plan. Just search for item 314060 on the microsoft helpsite and it will take you there

Stuartli 17:52 15 Jan 2004

Check first in Safe Mode whether the drive is listed in Device Manager. If it is then it is virtually 100 per cent certain you have a loose or disconnected cable or lead from the drive to the mobo.

Mr Hyun 18:56 15 Jan 2004

Thanks for all the help guys, but still no success! After trying the registry edit, nothing happened, it still mentions on boot up, when the hard drive is first booted, then it should be the CD drive which is next, but it just says: "Sec Master Drive - ATAPI Incompatible", so there isn't an icon anymore in My Computer showing the drive, it's just completely vanished off the face of the earth! I even looked in the System Information program, and there isn't any information regarding the DVD drive or any reported problems. I really don't want to resort to opening my laptop up to check if there is a connection problem! Any ideas?

©®@$? 19:19 15 Jan 2004

run this fix

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires