DVD ROM drive has just stopped working

Skinn 22:55 15 Mar 2006

The above has just stopped working. When a CD is inserted, you can hear it "revving up" a little bit and then slowing down repeatedly. You can also hear a "salt shaker" sound. Any ideas what it might be?It is a Phillips DROM5016L. Thanks in advance.

woodchip 22:58 15 Mar 2006

You could try a new Data Ribbon Cable

woodchip 22:58 15 Mar 2006

Or try pressing the plugs on

Diodorus Siculus 22:59 15 Mar 2006

Could be the laser has gone.

You can pick up a new one from PCWorld for £16 or so on Collect at Store.

PC World - SAMSUNG SD-616QEBB DVD REWRITER DRIVE - Shop for cheap DVDRWs
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 16 Mar 2006

1.Clean disk (cloth)

2. and drive Cd lens cleaner

3. Check ribbon cable secure change if faulty

4. Renew Drive

Stuartli 11:03 16 Mar 2006

You have, correctly, provided a link to a DVD-ROM drive but discuss a rewriter...:-)

There are two lasers in a DVD-ROM drive, one for CD and the other for DVD disks.

One of them may well have gone AWOL.

Another alternative is to Uninstall the drive in Device Manager, reboot and allow Windows to Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic Windows CDROM driver (all that is required), once it is established that leads and cables are properly connected.

If this doesn't work then the drive has probably given up the ghost.

Diodorus Siculus 17:06 16 Mar 2006

Stuartli

[quote]You have, correctly, provided a link to a DVD-ROM drive but discuss a rewriter...:-)[/quote]

I simply use a firefox extension which copies URL and page title - hence what appeared there is PCW's page header. To be honest, I didn't even look at it - cimply copy and paste :-)

Skinn 23:18 18 Mar 2006

Ran a lens cleaning CD but made no difference. Got onto Iqon technical support(€1.75 per minute!) and they suggested getting a firmware update but there apparently isn't one for the Phillips DROM5016L. The drive seems to rev up and then slow down, plus salt shaker sound effects, repeatedly for about two minutes and then gives up the ghost. Although this drive is about 15 months old it is virtually unused as the RW drive is above it and more accessible. Iqon also said that there could be a loose cable but under properties it says the device is working properly. Could a cable still have come undone? Any other ideas?

Ray5776 23:56 18 Mar 2006

Sounds all too familiar to me, replace the drive for what it costs or you can spend hours trying to sort it out and even if you succeed chances are it will fail next week. These devices seem to me to have a relatively short life span but at least they are now fairly cheap.

ray

Ray5776 00:07 19 Mar 2006

If it is trying to rev up and then stopping and trying again almost certainly faulty drive.

woodchip 15:38 19 Mar 2006

Ribbon cables are a known problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires