DVD-ROM Drive can’t read re-writeable DVDs

Onizuka 15:23 05 Feb 2006

When I bought my Evesham PC 3½ years ago it came supplied with a Samsung SD-616T DVD-ROM and a Samsung SW-240 CD writer. I have just replaced the CD writer with a Plextor PX-740A DVD writer and the Nero 7 InfoTool shows that the DVD-ROM cannot read any DVD±R/RW. Is there anything I can do or must I buy a new DVD-ROM drive?

€dstowe 15:37 05 Feb 2006

It may be the brand or type of DVDWR that is causing the problem, especially if the DVD ROM is old.

You can buy a new one for about £15 - money well spent and can save you a lot of hassle. click here

Onizuka 16:18 05 Feb 2006

€dstowe - Thanks for your speedy response. I wouldn’t have thought that 3½ years was particularly old but as I have tried several different brands of DVDs I suspect that your suggestion of buying a new drive is probably the answer.

€dstowe 17:12 05 Feb 2006

Believe me, 31/2 years is a long time in the life of a DVD ROM.

eego 20:58 05 Feb 2006

Onizuka... Your problem may come from using different manufactured equipment. I have found that DVD recordings that I make will not run on other equipment unless the recordings have been "FINALIZED". Might be worth looking at this before you go off buying a new one. However saying that I also agree with what's already been said regarding Disk type compatibility as my system will only work with DVD-R/RW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017