DVD-ROM can no longer read DVDs

Sturmey 18:10 08 Aug 2003

Hi,

My pioneer DVD-ROM does not recognise DVDs anymore, when I put a DVD in and try to open it just says "please insert a disc in drive F:" data and audio cd's work fine, so I've ruled out a connection inside my PC being loose.

The dvd player is a few years old now, but It's strange that it reads normal cd's ok just not DVDs.

I'm using Windows XP and have a CD-RW as a second drive.

Any help much-ly appreciated

1st RHA 18:28 08 Aug 2003

reload drivers if you have any, and try a driver update

Sturmey 19:18 08 Aug 2003

Did that, no joy tho I'm afraid still does not read DVDs

Lozzy 19:34 08 Aug 2003

Try also re loading DVD software as that may just kick in the decoder, which is why your dvd is not being recognized.

Stuartli 19:55 08 Aug 2003

Why drive F? Do you have several HDD and optical drives?

Otherwise it would normally be drive D followed by the rewriter on E.

Have you also checked that the rewriter is the Master and the DVD-ROM the Slave?

Sturmey 20:26 08 Aug 2003

I have 2 HDD one is partitioned into 2 so I have 3 HDD drive letters they are C,D and G, my CD-RW driver letter is E and the DVD-ROM that isn't working is F.

Yep my rewriter is master and DVD slave both on the second ide channel.

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD I reloaded it still nothing.

Simac 22:09 08 Aug 2003

How long as this problem occured?? Only a friend of mine had exactly the same problem.. but his was a combo drive though similar to yourself it read CD-ROMS ok, but did not like reading a DVD, kept hanging up on him. Eventually it was a case of updating the Drivers for the DVD device to work..I see you have tries that. Is it worth trying to do a system restore to a time when you knew it was working maybe there was something you installed recently that affects the DVD???

Just a guess, whether that helps, then not sure what else!!

Sturmey 22:23 08 Aug 2003

I only noticed it not working today, I haven't played a DVD for a while so it could of happened a while ago without me knowing, will try a sys restore, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?