DVD Rewriter - IDE

Black.Star 14:11 13 Mar 2007

I'm after a new DVD Rewriter (IDE) - speed isn't really important but noise definately is !

Could any recommend an internal DVD drive that performs well but is quieter than most ?

All suggestions gratefuly received.

Thanks

Stuartli 14:28 13 Mar 2007

My Sony GA170, the latest and fastest model, runs very quietly and performs well.

Cost is under £20 at most online outlets. I got mine from Scan:

click here

To be honest I've never noticed internal drives to be particularly noisy in any case.

Diemmess 14:31 13 Mar 2007

Sensible question with no easy answer.

Suitable drives need to run at relatively high speed to function at all, and I think the ascending wheesh as a drive accepts or delivers data goes with the drive.

Some blank disks are dynamically less well balanced than others and may have a greater part in noise than the drive itself.

Choosing recognised brands for both items and running at less than maximum speed is (I think) about all you can do.

Black.Star 10:05 14 Mar 2007

Thanks for that - the drive I have at the moment seems noisier than any I've had before by some margin - It's and LG model, but can't say I'm very impressed with it.

From what I've seen, it looks like a choice between Sony and Samsung. One more questions - I've seen 'OEM' on some of the drives, does this make any difference ? (not sure what OEM means).

Thanks again

robertsnoog 10:35 14 Mar 2007

I recommend BenQ DW1625,
very good product.

The DW1625's competitive performance and comprehensive Nero 6.6/BenQ software bundle would make it a good buy

robertsnoog 10:39 14 Mar 2007

BenQ DW1625 DVD rewriter is the first model to incorporate a totally new type of labeling technology: LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling, which uses an optical drive's CD laser pickup to etch text and graphics onto the surface of specially coated media.

-------------------------------
[url=click here]software reviews[/url]

Confab 10:43 14 Mar 2007

You could try something like this

click here

Stuartli 10:53 14 Mar 2007

Such drives have been around for quite a while.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer and originally generally applied to components supplied to system builders. Now you can buy them from both online and retail outlets.

In the case of optical drives, this means that you just get the bare drive.

Not only does this save you money over a full retail pack version, most people already have the necessary leads etc to just slot it in and replace the outgoing drive.

The only driver required is Windows' basic CDROM driver, which installs automatically when you reboot after installing the drive.

The function of the drive itself is controlled by burning software such as Nero.

Regarding quietness. Burning DVDs is done at a much lower speed than for CD-Rs (maximum 18x in the case of my Sony GA170) and, as suggested earlier, you could try burning CD-Rs at a slower speed.

However, my experience is that noise levels are pretty low in any case with modern optical drives, apart the short period during which they are building up to maximum speed.

Stuartli 10:53 14 Mar 2007

Such drives have been around for quite a while.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer and originally generally applied to components supplied to system builders. Now you can buy them from both online and retail outlets.

In the case of optical drives, this means that you just get the bare drive.

Not only does this save you money over a full retail pack version, most people already have the necessary leads etc to just slot it in and replace the outgoing drive.

The only driver required is Windows' basic CDROM driver, which installs automatically when you reboot after installing the drive.

The function of the drive itself is controlled by burning software such as Nero.

Regarding quietness. Burning DVDs is done at a much lower speed than for CD-Rs (maximum 18x in the case of my Sony GA170) and, as suggested earlier, you could try burning CD-Rs at a slower speed.

However, my experience is that noise levels are pretty low in any case with modern optical drives, apart the short period during which they are building up to maximum speed.

Stuartli 10:56 14 Mar 2007

LightScribe disks are expensive (as are DualLayer) and you may prefer, if you are able, to use printable CD/DVD media in combination with a photo printer that can print to them.

Examples are the Epson R200/R300 models and their variants.

Stuartli 12:53 14 Mar 2007

Just for your interest, the Benq model you mention was introduced in June 2005.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?