DVD Rewriter Burned Out

Diversion 18:16 16 Jul 2006

Hi everyone

My DVD rewriter as just burned out, it was in the PC when I bought it new. The one that’s burned out is a "Sony DVD RW DW-D22A" I'm thinking of replacing it with a "Plextor PX-760A". I was wondering if anyone out there has that make and of DVD rewriter, and how good is it compared to the Sony that's burned out. Any views on this will be appreciated.

Thanks Paul.

sean-278262 18:21 16 Jul 2006

Check out page 194 in PCA August 2006 Issue 133. The drive you refer to is 73pounds. It is the first 18x speed drive but to be honest do you really need that extra speed in a drive for home use? To be honest I would look to something cheaper. That way if it goes belly up in a years or twos time it was more price to use viable than a drive 2 times the expense of a drive 2x the price doing the same thing. Personally never used it but just pointing out something to consider.

A

Diversion 18:45 16 Jul 2006

Thanks for that Creature of the Nite, I haven't got the August issue yet because my local paper shop is always late getting his stock in. Although I do get PCA to order, I'll call in tomorrow to see if he has got it in stock yet. But my Sony had a write speed of 16X but I never burned at 16X, usually 4X maximum. But I thought with it being more expensive I would be getting a more reliable product.

Smiler 18:52 16 Jul 2006

What about this for about £27

click here

Diversion 19:04 16 Jul 2006

Thanks for that Smiler it's even cheaper here click here

Smiler 19:15 16 Jul 2006

Watch the nubers and letters the one you picked up on is the 111D which doesn't seem to write to ram discs.
The one I linked to is the 111, which I believe will read \7 write ram discs

click here

jimv7 19:29 16 Jul 2006

click here Pioneer 111D £19.99

sean-278262 19:36 16 Jul 2006

Price does not always mean quality in the computing world. Any product with a high price tag often means that it is new or has a newly developed feature this is recouped with the early adopters of the item and therefore results in the higher initial price tag. Personally I would take the drive mentioned by the others as for 20quid who can argue and as you say you only do 4x writing most of the time so it makes sense to save the money and if the drive goes dead you can just replace it and probably still have change left from what you planned to spend anyway.

A

Diversion 19:51 16 Jul 2006

Thanks for the feedback on this chaps, and thanks for pointing that difference out Smiler. You have convinced me to go for the cheaper and by the stat's on the Pioneer DVR-111, it has got the Ram feature that it did not mention on the Plextor PX-760A thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?