DVD region free - for free

muscic lover 13:21 02 Aug 2009

I have a friend in Thailand who sends me DVD's as gifts for the family and myself often. I have not had the heart to tell him I cant watch them all as some are regions 1 - 5.
Does nybody know of a DVD program I can load that will allow me to watch them all - preferably free if possible. I dont have millions of brain cells but a simple play, stop and pause facility is all the button combination I would require.

I know you guys will help me out - many thnks

Links to the page would be great thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 02 Aug 2009

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

sunnystaines 13:45 02 Aug 2009

buy a dvd region free dvd player, not sure if they are still around.

Stuartli 13:58 02 Aug 2009

My several years old Kiss DVD player came with simple instructions on how to make it region free using the remote control.

I've never needed to do so, but the method is available.

Miké 14:06 02 Aug 2009

rather than making the drive "region free" use Slysoft AnyDVD which works differenly to most other software, there is a (fully functioing) 21 day trial.

Highly reccomended, I have used it for some years now.

click here

AL47 14:27 02 Aug 2009

i have a program called 'dvd region free'

i think it worked by either bypassing the region coding or resetting it, cant remember, but it worked fine

i just looked, still have it

AL47 14:28 02 Aug 2009

that program just runs in the background and you can use any media player to watch the dvds

BT 16:53 02 Aug 2009

If you want to play them on a DVD player rather than your computer, Google your machines make and model. There are lots of sites that will give you codes to enter, as Stuartli says, that will make it region free. I did it with a cheapo £15 one from Tescos and it works perfectly with any Region discs.

Stuartli 17:13 02 Aug 2009

>>There are lots of sites that will give you codes to enter, as Stuartli says, that will make it region free. >>

I've never said that...:-)

I stated that my Kiss DVD player (standalone) provides the means to do so using the remote control (and a three-figure code); the information is provided in the player's manual.

dagnammit 17:21 02 Aug 2009

My Philips one is region free by accessing a hidden menu.

Just get yourself a cheap DVD player for under the telly.

BT 17:31 02 Aug 2009

It was the 'codes to enter' bit I was referring to. I presume that is how you do it with the remote as it is with mine. Its just that I had to find my codes, they weren't provided ?

The first DVD player I ever bought - a Panasonic, I purchased over the phone and the chap asked if I wanted Macrovision Disabled for £20 extra. This was in the days when a DVD player cost about £300, and the method was to insert a small circuit board inside. You could actually get kits to do it yourself if you were a bit handy with a soldering iron. This also came with a scruffy bit of paper which told you how to set the region or make it region free (Region 0 actually) using the remote.

The chap on the phone said he didn't understand why he was getting loads of Orders for this particular model. When I told him that it was the recommended one in Which magazine that month, he said he didn't know and would have to get more stock. He gave me the £20 upgrade for free for putting him wise. We still have the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017