DVD Region

sinbads 16:02 29 Jun 2008

Having turned my dvd player into a paperweight (computer crash during a firmware update)

Installation of the new DVD drive was straight forward and seems to work fine.

My question is, the device manager/ DVD region shows that the current region is not selected (i can set this; but)What if any, are the implications if this value is not set?

OS vista Premium

Taff™ 16:59 29 Jun 2008

You probably have only 5 changes allowed. Set it to Europe, which is probably where you live. You can change this 4 more times but at "The end of the day", any European DVD`s will not play on that device unless it is set to European.

sinbads 17:14 29 Jun 2008

I haven't set the region yet. I know that once set you have a limeted number of changes before its fixed, then requireing a dvd region crack.

As said my current region is not set, the dvd player seems ok, also since your post tried several purchased films and all work ok?

Pamy 17:16 29 Jun 2008

If it aint broke don't fix it

MAT ALAN 17:18 29 Jun 2008

If it aint broke, fix it till it is!!!

sinbads 17:54 29 Jun 2008

Not really an answer to my question.

I have read that there may be issues with third party software and OS issues anyone any sensible thoughts on this?

Pamy 18:32 29 Jun 2008

Mine was a sensible reply. If it does what you want leaved it alone, what's the problem?

sinbads 18:57 29 Jun 2008

Sorry your slogan is merely an excuse for inaction, not exactly a positive reply to my question i was asking for the implications of a particular situation.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

Pamy 19:02 29 Jun 2008

Inaction is what is required. I cannot see that you have a problem. What does the manual advise?

sinbads 20:27 29 Jun 2008

advice given is to set to the region rather than leave it not selected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone