DVD Recording Standards

Granddad Ray 15:41 29 Dec 2005

I recently installed a DVD unit onto my PC and I am confused as to the relevance of the various recording methods available. The R and RW and RAM options are self evident but what are the uses of DVD+D, DVD-R, DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL. Can you help

SANTOS7 15:57 29 Dec 2005

click here
click here
all the onfo you need here,good luck.....

BurrWalnut 16:00 29 Dec 2005

The 2 main types are - (hyphen) and + (plus). The earlier CD formats were R (write once) and RW (write many times). The hyphen was used to easily distinguish between CD-R and CD-RW.

An early DVD standard simply had the hyphen between the DVD and the R/RW as per the CD. About half of the major manufacturers signed-up to it. Those that didn’t sign-up, later created a different format and decided to call it plus, giving the impression that plus was superior to minus.

Most domestic DVD players will read hyphen and plus but RAM is a bit less favoured and will probably take the Betamax route.

If you want to copy and permanently preserve data use a DVD-R (or CD-R). If you use software like Nero you can update a DVD-R or CD-R with newer versions of your files. I only ever use RWs to try out new things so that I don’t waste the Rs.

The DL refers to dual-layer which doubles the size of the DVD but the blank discs are still expensive.

Granddad Ray 14:45 30 Dec 2005

Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?