DVD Recorder / Video Combi questions

Jon2907 11:32 06 Jan 2009

My Aunt has hundreds of old VHS videos of old BBC TV series and would like to convert them to DVD to save space. She's planning to buy a new DVD player soon and I was wondering if with a DVD recorder/video combi she could record her videos onto dvd. I've also seen models with an internal hard drive - can these be used for copying the videos?

Hope someone can help! Thanks

Technotiger 11:37 06 Jan 2009

Simple answer - Yes!

tims31 11:47 06 Jan 2009

Not quite so simple answer - Yes if they are recorded off of the TV but if they are original bought versions then they may not record. I have tried with a few films and series' but they fail to record if they are originals.

Stuartli 13:30 06 Jan 2009

The query clearly lists "..hundreds of old VHS videos of old BBC TV series"...:-)

Stuartli 13:31 06 Jan 2009

Would imagine it would take quite some time to undertake the conversions...:-(

tims31 13:37 06 Jan 2009

Stuartli

Yes it does....but does not state whether they are recorded onto a VHS tape through a TV signal or whether they are bought on VHS tape from a shop. If they are bought from a shop and an original series there is a copy protection on the tape which the hard drive recorder does not allow to be copied.

As I said I have tried with original pre-recorded VHS tapes and my Sony hard drive recorder won't allow it.

I was trying to provide additional help to the query!!!

Jon2907 13:50 06 Jan 2009

Yeah they're all mainly box sets bought from a shop so from the responses so far it looks like the copy protection will hinder me. I think I'm going to have to find some torrent sites...!

Thanks to all those who replied, it's very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?