dvd recorder for FTV

Desperate-Dan 08:36 24 Nov 2008

Hi, I want to buy a dvd recorder with a hdd, for recording sky FTV channels,
can you tell me what dvd recorder to look for, someone said you need one with the right tuner.

anchor 09:09 24 Nov 2008

For the benefit of those, like me, who did not understand the term FTV. From what I read, these channels are only available using a Sky digibox.

It should be the same as recording any Sky channel; connect the scart output of the digibox to the AV-IN of the recorder.

Important: Ensure that the recorder does have a scart AV-IN; not all do. I regularly record Sky on my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder using the method above. You do not need a separate tuner to record Sky in this manner.

Desperate-Dan 09:28 24 Nov 2008

anchor thanks for the prompt reply, I was thinking about getting one of the Panasonic HDD recorders,
I just want to make sure if the dvd recorder has freeview, it won't conflict with recording from a satellite dish

Desperate-Dan 09:28 24 Nov 2008

anchor thanks for the prompt reply, I was thinking about getting one of the Panasonic HDD recorders,
I just want to make sure if the dvd recorder has freeview, it won't conflict with recording from a satellite dish

Bagsey 09:31 24 Nov 2008

I Go along with what Anchor says. I have no trouble recording any of the freeview programs with my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder.

Desperate-Dan 09:32 24 Nov 2008

I don't know what happended there, two replies

Desperate-Dan 09:39 24 Nov 2008

I think you misunderstood, I don't have freeview, I have free to view-FTV you get the signal from a satellite dish and need a sky digibox.

DieSse 10:38 24 Nov 2008

To do what you want, you don't need a tuner - you connect to the Skybox with a SCART cable. The Skybox IS the tuner.

If you want to record something different to what you're watching, you need a second Satellite tuner (and a double LNB and two cables from the dish). This means another Skybox or a FTV receiver such as the MVision S4 (or similar).

click here

Desperate-Dan 11:12 24 Nov 2008

DieSse I have a quad LNB I would need to run a another cable from the LNB, but how to do I set it
up using a a second sky digibox or the MVision S4 Free To Air Receiver, PVR ready by USB what does PVR ready by USb mean?

DieSse 11:18 24 Nov 2008

-
"From what I read, these channels are only available using a Sky digibox."

That's not correct. However there are a few encrypted services that do need a "free-card" to view - such as Sky3. The bulk of "free" services do not need a card of any kind.

FreeSat receivers also receive "free" channels from the same set of satelites.

So do "free-to-air" receivers (such as the one in the link on my previous posting).

In fact the "free-to-air" receivers arguably do a better job, as they scan for ALL available unencrypted channels, not just the ones in the EPG bouquet for a particular service.

DieSse 11:24 24 Nov 2008

"PVR ready by USB what does PVR ready by USB mean?"

There's a USB socket on the front of the box, into which you can plug, say, a memory stick. This gives around 1hr for every GigaByte. So an 8 GB stick would give you 8 hours. I'm not sure if the same applies to a USB hard drive - but I can't see why not.

"but how to do I set it up using a a second sky digibox or the MVision S4 Free To Air Receiver"

You plug a second cable from the dish into the box. That's all. A second Skybox is a problem if it's in the same place - as both will respond to the remote control.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone