dvd recorder for FTV

Desperate-Dan 08:36 24 Nov 2008

Hi, I want to buy a dvd recorder with a hdd, for recording sky FTV channels,
can you tell me what dvd recorder to look for, someone said you need one with the right tuner.

anchor 09:09 24 Nov 2008

For the benefit of those, like me, who did not understand the term FTV. From what I read, these channels are only available using a Sky digibox.

It should be the same as recording any Sky channel; connect the scart output of the digibox to the AV-IN of the recorder.

Important: Ensure that the recorder does have a scart AV-IN; not all do. I regularly record Sky on my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder using the method above. You do not need a separate tuner to record Sky in this manner.

Desperate-Dan 09:28 24 Nov 2008

anchor thanks for the prompt reply, I was thinking about getting one of the Panasonic HDD recorders,
I just want to make sure if the dvd recorder has freeview, it won't conflict with recording from a satellite dish

Desperate-Dan 09:28 24 Nov 2008

anchor thanks for the prompt reply, I was thinking about getting one of the Panasonic HDD recorders,
I just want to make sure if the dvd recorder has freeview, it won't conflict with recording from a satellite dish

Bagsey 09:31 24 Nov 2008

I Go along with what Anchor says. I have no trouble recording any of the freeview programs with my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder.

Desperate-Dan 09:32 24 Nov 2008

I don't know what happended there, two replies

Desperate-Dan 09:39 24 Nov 2008

I think you misunderstood, I don't have freeview, I have free to view-FTV you get the signal from a satellite dish and need a sky digibox.

DieSse 10:38 24 Nov 2008

To do what you want, you don't need a tuner - you connect to the Skybox with a SCART cable. The Skybox IS the tuner.

If you want to record something different to what you're watching, you need a second Satellite tuner (and a double LNB and two cables from the dish). This means another Skybox or a FTV receiver such as the MVision S4 (or similar).

click here

Desperate-Dan 11:12 24 Nov 2008

DieSse I have a quad LNB I would need to run a another cable from the LNB, but how to do I set it
up using a a second sky digibox or the MVision S4 Free To Air Receiver, PVR ready by USB what does PVR ready by USb mean?

DieSse 11:18 24 Nov 2008

-
"From what I read, these channels are only available using a Sky digibox."

That's not correct. However there are a few encrypted services that do need a "free-card" to view - such as Sky3. The bulk of "free" services do not need a card of any kind.

FreeSat receivers also receive "free" channels from the same set of satelites.

So do "free-to-air" receivers (such as the one in the link on my previous posting).

In fact the "free-to-air" receivers arguably do a better job, as they scan for ALL available unencrypted channels, not just the ones in the EPG bouquet for a particular service.

DieSse 11:24 24 Nov 2008

"PVR ready by USB what does PVR ready by USB mean?"

There's a USB socket on the front of the box, into which you can plug, say, a memory stick. This gives around 1hr for every GigaByte. So an 8 GB stick would give you 8 hours. I'm not sure if the same applies to a USB hard drive - but I can't see why not.

"but how to do I set it up using a a second sky digibox or the MVision S4 Free To Air Receiver"

You plug a second cable from the dish into the box. That's all. A second Skybox is a problem if it's in the same place - as both will respond to the remote control.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement