DVD recorder do you have to watch what to record?

beachhut 01:30 12 Jan 2007

Hi I am Beachhut and I am new.

Was given a dvd recorder for xmas, but although have recorded items with screen off, cannot seem to record any channel( sky or standard )unless I am watching it. Unlike VHS where you could watch one side and record the other.

Totally-braindead 01:39 12 Jan 2007

This is strictly speaking a computer forum but I will give you what help I can. As long as the dvd recorder you have has a tuner then the answer is yes you can. Even if it doesn't have a tuner then you can record through a SCART lead from say a digi box and watch normal TV.
My setup, cannot afford SKY so have freeview.
Aerial comes into the freeview box then via SCART to the DVD recorder then via SCART to the AV input on the TV, also have standard TV aerial connection running to TV from the freeview box.
I can watch freeview or watch normal TV as the dvd recorder can either record terrestrial TV 1,2,3 or 4 or via the SCART can record freeview. Whilst its doing this I can watch the terrestrial or whatever the freeview is on. I cannot watch one freeview channel while recording another I would need a dual tuner freeview box to do that.

I hope this helps somewhat.

eedcam 09:13 12 Jan 2007

If you have no other boxes sky or freeview then you can only watch what you are recording or the standard analogue channels. The reason you thought it was different with vhs is vhs was an analogue tuner and your tv had an analogue tuner . Whereas now you sre dealing with digital tuners and analogue tuners and never the Twain shall meet

beachhut 08:39 15 Jan 2007

Thank you for your comments. I will try to reconnect my standard ariel, so that I can watch anologue whilst recording digital or visa versa.

Regards

Beachhut

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:35 15 Jan 2007

My DVD recorder was £70 from Asda and I can record any terrestrial channel whilst watching another.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone