DVD RECORDER

281apple 12:05 18 Nov 2004

I don't know really anything about DVD Recorders but I know what I want it to do. .

I want one that is easy to use cause my wife will be using it and she is not a technican. She mastered our VCR but it took her a bit of time. The one I buy should be able to record TV programs (of course), be able to erase programs on the RW DVD CD, be able to read VCD, SVCD, JPEG, etc.

Could someone give me a check list of what other points should be important to evaluate in selecting a DVD RECORDER and give me some suggestions as to what brand names could give me satisfaction in the 400 to 500 Euros range.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Raymond (Living in France)

SEASHANTY 15:27 18 Nov 2004

Should be some advice on the DVD forum
click here also some info on DVD recorders click here

Machines for use in France will be specially adapted to use a Secam tuner as I believe this is the system used in France. Machines that use DVD-RAM and DVD-RW discs can be erased and re-used.
Unfortunately you can not erase DVD-R or DVD+R discs and reuse.

smurfling 15:38 18 Nov 2004

Just spotted a Goodmans GVD 300R recorder for under £200 with built in TV tuner in Tesco, seems well spec,d for the price, give it a look

smurfling 15:42 18 Nov 2004

sorry just noticed you are in France, no good for you....

mattyc_92 16:51 18 Nov 2004

A good DVD-RW should have the following:
A good read speed
A good Write speed (around 8x)
Compatible with CD-Rs/CD-RWs
Plus a few other aspecs that I can't remember at this time.....

I suggest a "Freecom Internal DVD-RW 8x" You can get this one for around £100

281apple 18:38 18 Nov 2004

Smurfling wrote "sorry just noticed you are in France, no good for you...."

Notwithstanding the fact that France's TV network uses SECAM, everything except TV reception (in SECAM), uses PAL. All computers, all digital cameras, all VCR's, all recorders, EVERYTHING is in PAL and everything is transcoded without any loss of quality from SECAM to PAL if trancoding is necessary. I can buy anything in England and use it in France. This is not the same with the USA because they do not use PAL, as we all know.

In closing, I want to say that I really appreciate the quick and intersting replies I see on pcadvsor.

Raymond

SEASHANTY 23:59 18 Nov 2004

Thanks for the email Raymond. Just for the forum record I will post the text here:-

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out your suggestions. As for SECAM in France, you are right; however, all TV's use both PAL and SECAM and in the case of DVD's, VCR's, etc they all receive the signal in SECAM and it is transcoded automatically to PAL.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I find the Panasonic DVD recorders are very versatile. They also have the ability to record to
DVD-RAM 4.7GB discs which can be re-recorded over and over again. Up to 100,000 times for the "caddy"
type. I use the non-caddy type because they are cheaper. The Panasonic DMR-E55 will do most of what you require and is priced well within your budget range.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?