DVD re writer

Byakova 12:31 01 Feb 2009

Can anyone advise, please, i have an emachines 3210 (yeh getting on a bit i know) - it was bought new with a cd re writer and a dvd drive, at a latter stage the dvd was replaced under warrenty with a dvd re writer but fitted by myself.
all works great but the exchanged dvd re writter will not write but otherwise is ok, could anyone advise if i need to adjust the jumper settings or cables etc to make this work -i imagine that the cd re writer is the master and may need changing to slave but not sure ?????.
Thanks for anyone who can advise.

MAJ 12:40 01 Feb 2009

It depends on which connection on the ribbon cable it is attached to. If it's on the end connection, it should be set as Master, if it's on the middle connection, it should be set as Slave. I can't see that changing it would make any difference as it's working otherwise. Have you ever burned a CD or DVD with it?

Byakova 12:45 01 Feb 2009

No i have never tried using it to write onto a dvd until recently as i have not had a need, but if it a simple thing of a conection adjustment i would like to do this as it would be usefull, - as i say it was sent as a replacement for a dvd but arived as a dvd re writer.

MAJ 12:50 01 Feb 2009

If you're sure it is a rewriter, open My Computer and right-click on the rewriter's icon, choose Properties, click on the Recording tab and choose the "enable recording on this drive" option, see if it helps. Do you have any burning software installed, something like Nero or Roxio, or are you using Windows XP?

Byakova 12:54 01 Feb 2009

tried the setting in my computer but made no difference, yes running xp , i do have nero but not instaled, but shouldnt it work without this ??????????, thanks for your help buy the way

MAJ 12:59 01 Feb 2009

Yes it should work without Nero, if you're using XP. Install Nero anyway, see if it helps. Check out your connections as well, it couldn't hurt.

Byakova 13:00 01 Feb 2009

ok , will do.
thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?