DVD-RAM not working

kentylad 23:08 15 Mar 2007

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro V2055 laptop which came with an Optiarc 7540A DVD-RW drive.

It was my understanding that this drive was compatible with DVD-RAM disks, which meant I could back up large amounts of data continuously on one disk.

With this in mind, I bought some Panasonic DVD-RAM, 1.47GB/120min, 3x speed disks.

However, when attempting to use an OEM version of Nero (v6.6.0.19) to 'Format Re-writable DVD', I get an error asking to check whether the 'disc is compatible with the drive' or that the 'disc is not scrathced or damaged'; the former is true and the latter not.

Can anyone advise as to how I can format my DVD-RAM discs, and/or what may be going wrong?

Regards

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:23 15 Mar 2007

These are the smaller 80mm discs are they.

skidzy 23:24 15 Mar 2007

Do you mean 4.7GB not 1.47GB and are these single sided or double sided,i doubt your lappy will use the double sided.
Have you tried using a dvd-r for example.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:43 15 Mar 2007

Think you can do a FAT32 format in Windows then all you need to do is drag and drop.

Iron Maiden 07:02 16 Mar 2007

Download Nero Incd, select package 3 from this page
click here
this will let you format DVD Ram disk's In UDF format once formatted you can drag & drop files to & from the DVD.

kentylad 09:16 16 Mar 2007

Thank you for your replies.

Ho-Lin-Sok - They aren't smaller that a standard DVD

skidzy - You're right, they are 4.7 GB. I mistook a '/' for a '1'!

Iron Maiden - I have already attempted to use InCD to format in UDF (V2.0), however it still won't let me.

I am yet to try a DVD-R, but would ideally like to utilise the 'floppy-disk like' capabilities of a DVD-RAM.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone