DVD RAM Drive???

concretepigsy 14:50 19 Feb 2005

I am thinking of buying a laptop with a DVDRW +/- Super Multi (DVD-RAM Drive.

But another laptop has a dual layer dvd rw drive.

whats the difference and which is the better option?

Thanks

Chris

Diodorus Siculus 14:54 19 Feb 2005

Dual layer is probably a better option than DVD RAM - of all the various formats, DVD RAM is the most expensive, I belive,and the least well supported, hardware wise.

Technotiger 15:00 19 Feb 2005

Hi, are you sure the one with RAM Drive has not got both RAM and Dual Layer. My own on my pc has both.

Cheers.

concretepigsy 15:04 19 Feb 2005

Hi technotiger

I dont know, this is the spec

click here=

its the 1801

concretepigsy 17:29 19 Feb 2005

bump

drew645 20:38 19 Feb 2005

I have an LG multidrive including DVD-Ram and use it all the time. I understand that the discs can be written to 100,000 times as opposed to the 1000 times of + and - drives. It's easy to use, just drag and drop.
I am hoping that its lack of popularity will mean I will spot cheap discs in bulk!
Regards
Andrew

FelixTCat 09:10 20 Feb 2005

DVD-RAM is an excellent format for moving large amounts of data about. It is particularly useful if you have, or are planning to get, a DVD recorder for the TV. The best ones will save to DVD-RAM and you can transfer them to the PC and work on them (or view them) easily.

goonerbill © ® 10:50 20 Feb 2005

LG are the only dvd writer maker that use dvd-ram (as far as i know) and the newer models also have dual layer burning capabilities.

the best reason for dvd-ram is that you can record and watch at the same time.

Technotiger 18:16 20 Feb 2005

Hi, me again - the 1801 does appear to have both.
I have the newer model LG as mentioned above.

Cheers.

SEASHANTY 19:58 20 Feb 2005

Cheapest DVD-RAM discs I know of are the ones at Blankdiscshop £14-99 for a spindle of ten discs.
click here

SEASHANTY 11:52 21 Feb 2005

Doubt if you will find any cheap dvd-ram discs in bulk. Thwe price is slowly dropping though probably due to the fact that the home dvd recorders from Panasonic, JVC, Hitachi, Toshiba and Samsung are all supporting playback & record of DVD-RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie