DVD-RAM any point??

rdh660 10:07 17 Mar 2005

Hi
I have been helped many times by the kind members of the forum when I have run into technical difficulies but this is not really a technical problem more a request for advice so I hope I am not misusing the service.

I have kindly just been given a DVD writer as a gift . It is an LG GSA-4163 and I am very pleased with it.

It can record on most media types including Dual layer DVD+ and DVD-RAM. I am still very much a novice in the PC world and sort of understand the principles behind DVD-RAM and how it can be used more like a portable hard disk and was wondering in what situations (if any) it might be advantageous to use DVD-RAM media rather than the other cheaper formats of recordable disks.

I know there are double sided DVD-RAM but are there Dual layer DVD-RAM ??
Also if I get hold of a DVD-RAM disk which is compatible with my writer will I have to format it with a file system like a hard drive and how do I do that?
Lastly is it worth even considering using DVD-RAM at all??
Sorry for what might seem pretty daft questions.

Thanks.

scotty 12:57 17 Mar 2005

Advantages of DVD-RAM include:

1) Disks are more reliable than DVD±r and can be written to more times;

2) You do have to format a DVD-RAM disc using a program normally supplied with your drive but then you can read and write to it like a normal disc drive without the need to use special burning software such as Nero.

I use DVD-RAM disc for data back-up and find it is very fast and convenient.

rdh660 13:27 17 Mar 2005

Thanks Scotty

All my questions answered in a nutshell. Might be worth buying a disc or two to use for data backup as you do.
regards

FelixTCat 15:15 17 Mar 2005

The other major advantage of DVD-RAM is its use with DVD recorders attached to tvs. DVD-RAM differs from other formats in that you can read and write to it at the same time. Thus you can record one program whilst watching one you recorded earlier, or use what is called Time Slip where you can start watching the beginning of a tv program whilst the end is still being recorded.

You can also edit the content of a DVD-RAM disk and recover the deleted space automatically.

Recorded disks can then be moved to a pc with a RAM reader/writer for further editing.

Confab 15:20 17 Mar 2005

I have a pioneer DVD recorder it uses the -RW/R format. I can record a programme whilst watching one I recorded elier. I can time slip on the -RW format.

Confab 15:22 17 Mar 2005

I can also delete any part of a recorded RW and recover the space.

SEASHANTY 15:22 17 Mar 2005

Advantages of DVD-RAM click here

Cheapest for DVD-RAM discs
click here

You need the non-cartridge type for the GSA 4163 PC writer. DVD-RAM discs are supported by home dvd recorders made by Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung.

SEASHANTY 11:15 18 Mar 2005

The Panasonic DVD-RAM are already formatted when supplied. Dunno about the ones from Blankdiscshop as I haven't purchased any of theirs yet. Have around 50 of the Panasonic discs so no need to yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires