DVD RAM?

Storik 12:31 09 Mar 2005

What is a DVD RAM disk and what advantage, if any, do they have over DVD- DVD+, apart from a greater capacity?

I have a Plextor 16X DVD writer, and also wondered which of the + or - would be more suitable. The Plextor will write to either.

Honestly, I did check the archives first, and could find no mention of DVD RAM disks. There also seemed to be a difference of opinion regarding the advantages of + or -.

Storik

Storik 12:33 09 Mar 2005

Also, not interested in "copying" DVD's but making them. Can anyone recommend the best program for doing so? Please!

Storik

Stuartli 12:59 09 Mar 2005

Some info:

click here

click here

click here

click here sells DVD RAM disks from under £2 each upwards.

FelixTCat 13:53 09 Mar 2005

DVD-RAM is most effective when you are likely to want to write to the disk many times. In that respect, it has a much greater life than DVD-RW (+ or -)

A number of DVD recorders for recording TV programs use DVD-RAM disks because of this multiple write - erase - rewrite capability; also because you can record and playback at the same time using DVD-RAM.

As far as I know, there is no significant capacity difference between DVD-RAM and the others, except that you can get double-sided disks. You still have to turn them over to use the other side; no doubt, in time someone will produce a drive to read and write both sides at once.

At the moment there is no price premium for getting a DVD-RAM capable drive for a pc; in fact, some of the most highly rated drives are the RAM-capable ones.

I don't think that there are any real differences between the + and - formats in terms of compatibility or use. At the moment + seems to be ahead in terms of speed and dual-layer disks, but by the time most of us get round to using them, or the blank disks become available, - will probably have caught up.

In terms of making your own DVD disks, I would suggest that you read some of the magazine reviews. The different programs have their own strengths an weaknesses depending on what you are trying to do and how experienced you are.

TomJerry 14:07 09 Mar 2005

both + and - will do nicely, it does not really matter what you use, some old standard-player cannot writer neither of + and -

what kind of DVD you want to "make"? data? video?

Storik 14:37 09 Mar 2005

for the invaluable education. The old grey matter is creaking a bit, but I'm getting there!

TomJerry: I'm supposed to be putting my husband's digital camera holiday films onto DVD. He's expecting me to title, dub and edit these and what is more, I never done anything like this before. Somebody suggested Pinnacle Studio Delux and one of my neighbours has volunteered to give me some pointers. This old dog has got to learn some new tricks, and to be honest, I aint looking forward to it, but never mind eh?

Thanks again folk, my education continues.

Storik

Storik 14:47 09 Mar 2005

This is the software I'm thinking of purchasing. Is it any good, and more importantly, simple to use?

click here

Storik

FelixTCat 15:07 09 Mar 2005

I can't answer for the software but this is bundled with a firewire card. Are you sure you need one? If your computer is fairly new, it may have one already. Check the documentation.

Similarly, your movie camera may have USB2 output and you may have USB2 ports already on your computer.

TomJerry 15:51 09 Mar 2005

they are running a special offer now click here

Pinnacle Studio has a known problem of sound-pic out of sync for many PCs

SEASHANTY 15:57 09 Mar 2005

Advantages of DVD-RAM
click here

SEASHANTY 15:59 09 Mar 2005

Typing <DVD-RAM> into the search box on the left hand side of this thread brings up twenty previous threads on this subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?