DVD R OR RW RELIABILITY?

smick 13:15 10 Oct 2006

Is there a difference in the reliability of these types of disc. I was always told CD-RW were not particularly stable & never to use them as long term back-up, which has been bourne out several times with failed discs. Is the same true with DVD's?

johndrew 14:33 10 Oct 2006

I`ll wait to be shouted down, but I don`t think the problem is so much the `type` of disc but the `manufacturer`.

To my knowledge the only difference between any RW and R discs is the ability to rewrite the RW. This eventually will take its toll on the disc and it will fail (much the same as video/audio tapes do). As a result it could be safer to save important data to the R version.

As for manufacturer, this can have a big impact as low quality can affect the ability of a burner (CD or DVD) to give a good result. I found this out when I bought a `bargain` spindle of 100 DVDs and the first four failed!!!!! Fortunately my brother has a different burner so he ended up with a better bargain than me.

Moral - buy better quality for improved reliability.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 10 Oct 2006

As with CD RW, DVD RW have a lower reflection rating and are therefore liable to fail (become unreadable) quicker than a DVD R disk.

smick 21:48 10 Oct 2006

Thanks guys. I'll make sure I use DVD R when archiving all those digital photos.

Totally-braindead 23:03 10 Oct 2006

smick I only use CDRs and DVDs not the rewritable equivalents as they are more reliable. All I do for my photos is create a multisession disk and keep adding until the disk is full. I also keep 2 copies just in case one fails or in case I scratch it and would advise anyone to do the same just in case.
There would be nothing worse than having a year or a couple of years photos lost for the sake of the price of one extra disk.

Stuartli 08:42 11 Oct 2006

It's the reduced reflectivity of rewritable disks (as already correctly pointed out) that can prove a problem, as some optical drives may not/might not be able to read them.

As for reliability, Imation for one (normally rebadged Taiyo Yuden media) claims up to 100 years longevity for certain examples of its DVD media.

But don't ask me how Imation knows such facts accurately...:-)

The key is to always use quality media - No Name products are a definite No No in my book.

That's why I always use Taiyo Yuden-based or TDK media.

Diemmess 09:39 11 Oct 2006

There was an airing of this topic a couple of years ago which quoted a report well outdated but saying the same thing.

In effect stick to brand names that have most to lose by selling substandard blanks, and avoid the bargain job-lot like the plague.

I've copied the Google link to a list of usful sites click here=

Stuartli 10:12 11 Oct 2006

I've had a CD-RW drive for five years (a TDK 24x write rebadged Samsung model) and never had a coaster with quality media.

However, even though it's still working perfectly, the TDK has just given way to the latest Sony AW-G170 DVD rewriter.

Price of the Sony was £20.89.

Price of the TDK? £189.

Just amazing how specifications rise and prices drop.

The TDK, by the way, has stood the test of time because I've only used it purely for burning - software installation, playing audio CDs or DVDs etc is done using a Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?