Dvd-r or Dvd+r

domo 21:26 09 Feb 2003

I am thinking of investing in a Ricoh mp125a-dp Dvd+r dvd+r writer but a the local fair i noticed all the dvd blanks where mostly dvd-r,can i use both dvd-r and dvd+r.

€dstow 06:46 10 Feb 2003

This seems an obscure model.

The current favourite is the Sony DRU-500A which is decribed as writing all the popular DVD formats and doesn't cost more than a less versatile machine.

€d

stlucia 09:08 10 Feb 2003

DVD+R and DVD-R are not interchangeable. But some machines like the Sony which £dstow mentions can record and play both.

If you plan to view your recorded DVDs on your television, you need to check what standard(s) your domestic DVD player can read. I think the majority can handle DVD-R.

Jamesy 11:30 10 Feb 2003

Problem is, with the Sony multi-format drive I believe it's the only multi-standard one currently available and hence you will be placed on a long waiting list for it. There's an NEC one in the pipeline too but I don't think it's out yet.

Stuartli 12:27 10 Feb 2003

The - disks are a fraction of the price of the + versions....

€dstow 13:27 10 Feb 2003

There are several in the pipeline, Panasonic have been introducing one since last summer!! Don't know where it is though.;-)

I don't know why there should be such a waiting list. I passing through the USA late last year, went into a computer store in Miami and bought five of them $250 each. There wasn't any shortage there - or was I just lucky? Don't think so.

(They've all got good homes so I don't have any spares).

€d

Stuartli 16:08 10 Feb 2003

click here has just sent its weekly e-mail with the following note:

"We have managed to secure some hard to find SONY DW-U10A X4 DVD-R and DVD+R Writers.. with free delivery on the first 100 orders"

if anyone is interested.

Patr100 18:13 10 Feb 2003

Isn't the Ricoh mp125a (or similar) a March PCW magazine Best buy/recommended? perhaps that is why you have gone for it.

crx16 18:29 10 Feb 2003

panasonic drive is dvd-ram and dvd-r/rw,there will be no dvd+r/rw as it is not supported by dvd forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017