dvd-r discs which ones are best to use

chrisjohn 12:51 24 Mar 2008

ok for copying films to disc which discs are the best

anchor 13:16 24 Mar 2008

I am sure that everyone has their own opinion, but I have never found a problem with "Infiniti" brand.

skidzy 13:18 24 Mar 2008

For me on all my machines it is Datawrite and Verbatim discs.

eedcam 13:33 24 Mar 2008

Verbatim for me and consider Imgburn for the burning its free

tullie 13:36 24 Mar 2008

I use Infiniti

Totally-braindead 13:38 24 Mar 2008

As said everyone has their own opinion about this. I use Datawrite at the moment but I think their speed ratings aren't too accurate. The ones I have now are rated as 16 speed but if I burn at that speed they fail wasting a disk. Burn at 8 speed and theres no problem.

A lot depends on the DVD writer, or at least it used to, as some writers did not like some makes of disk. I don't know if this is the case any longer as my DVD writer seems to have no real problem with any make.

I'll be sticking to the Datawrite ones at the moment as they are quite cheap and as long as I burn at 8 speed they are perfect.

rickf 13:38 24 Mar 2008

For me Datawrite, Ridisc are good. Infiniti is usually much more expensive. Unless you specfically need Infiniti use one of the others.
I usually get 50 silver printables, if you want to print nice labels onto the disc, for around £6.00

rickf 13:41 24 Mar 2008

The faster you burn the more chances of mistakes. I usually burn around 8x like the above posting. Sometimes I even do 4x. Quick enough anyway.
For software I use DVD Shrink. Great prog. You can shrink the DVD to fit the capacity of your disc w/o losing quality if you don't shrink it too much

chrisjohn 14:56 24 Mar 2008

ok thanks guys where is the cheapest to get the discs

Stuartli 16:04 24 Mar 2008

I use Infiniti and Imation disks - the reason is that they are both rebadged Taiyo Yuden media, possibly the best media manufacturer in the world...:-)

Bought through 7DayShop.com and Morrison's.

Never, ever had a coaster.

BT 16:40 24 Mar 2008

They are not necessarily rebadged Taiyo Yuden.
My current batch of Infiniti DVD-R are Sony04D1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone