DVD-R discs: (which is best + or - )

anchor 14:51 29 Apr 2005

My new PC has a DVD writer (Sony DW-D22A).

As this is my first DVD writer I would like to know which format members consider best to use, DVD+R, or, DVD-R.

fazer 15:26 29 Apr 2005

It's all down to compatability - not so much with your computer but with normal domestic DVD players.

In my case, I have to use DVD-R; and none other.

ACOLYTE 15:37 29 Apr 2005

As said it depends what you writer can read,some can read/write both types others cannot it seems after a quick google that yours can read/write the + type.

anchor 16:24 29 Apr 2005

This Sony seems to support a wide selection of formats.

Supported formats:

DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R (3.9Gb/4.7Gb), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, CD-RW

Just curious to know if one DVD type is better than the other.

Pooke100 16:30 29 Apr 2005

It's all down to opinion, -R seems to present no problems with our players/recorders. One particular brand I like is Infiniti.

HTH

j3nks 16:35 29 Apr 2005

Dual layer hold nearly twice as much as standard DVD but cost 5+ times more (well last time I looked)
DVD-RW or +RW are rewritable much the same as CD-RW
DVD-R are generaly more compatable with domestic (ie linked to TV) players than most others.

woodchip 16:45 29 Apr 2005

You need to know what the DVDRW will support first, It's not what's best but the above what counts if it's only + then - will not work in the drive to write to. It’s nothing to do with reading a disc it's all about writing one. That the proper disc’s for the drive count.

blanco 17:12 29 Apr 2005

If you want to explore in more detail, a good site to look at is click here which will give you users comments on pretty well all makes of disc and the extent of the compatibility.

SEASHANTY 17:13 29 Apr 2005

Lots of Information (and links) on DVD
click here

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 17:18 29 Apr 2005

I have just brought 50 samsung pleomax DVD-R x8 from staples at £16.99 every one I have used so far about 7 have burnt in nero faultless I am very impressed going to buy another 100 an saterday .

anchor 08:52 30 Apr 2005

Many thanks all for you advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?