DVD Problem

The Teacher 17:02 07 Oct 2007

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire 7112WSMi laptop with Windows Media Centre edition on it.

It has a DVD Super Multi Drive and I was led to believe that this covers DVD-R and DVD+R. I have also bought some DVD-R as I have been told these are the best to use.

The problem is that when I put in a DVD and go to My Computer, the DVD shows, in properties, that there 0 bytes of free space and 0 bytes of used space.

The Aspire comes with NTI DVD and CD maker and this does show that the disk is inserted and how much space is available, so it would appear that the DVD is being read.

I have tried to transfer music from my hard drive to the DVD to clear hard drive space but cannot do so in NTI has it does it as a time, e.g like a CD would. So I have tried to do it in Media Centre, and get the message that "files that you are trying to copy already exist on the DVD and cannot be rewritten" the DVD then ejects.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and what can I do to fix it?

Apologies for the long post.

The Teacher

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 07 Oct 2007

In device manager try Uninstalling the drive and then Action - scan for new hardware and let windows find and reinstall the drivers
this may solve your problem.

The Teacher 17:08 07 Oct 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat but properties shows devices working properly. I have already done an update for drivers as I thought perhaps this would be the problem.

The Teacher

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 07 Oct 2007

Could then be an Explorer problem

try a windows repair.

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

The Teacher 22:54 26 Oct 2007

Tried that Fruit Bat, doesn't seem to be a problem.

It will play DVDs and by looking more closely at the laptop I have found the following:

"DVD Super Multi double layer (supports DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+-RW)

I have no idea what double layer is, and so is it possible that this then is the problem, that I don't have double layer DVDs?

The Teacher

woodchip 23:00 26 Oct 2007

Try this I think you will find this works click here

The Teacher 23:06 26 Oct 2007

What does it do Woodchip?

I clicked the link and it took me to a page for a CD/DVD burner. I already the software to do that, the problem is that when I insert a blank DVD I get the message that there are 0 bytes of used spaced and 0 bytes of free space.

I can play DVDs without a problem, and am now wondering if the problem is that I am not using double layer DVDs.

The Teacher

woodchip 23:09 26 Oct 2007

It's DVD CD burner Program. I think the software you are trying to use is no good. If it does not work Remove it from Control Panel\Add Remove Software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?