DVD Player woes

mitchamm 12:22 29 Sep 2004

I have been having a bit of trouble playing DVDs on my computer. When I put a DVD into the player and start my player, WinDVD, RealPlayer 10 or Windows Media, one of two things happens depending upon the DVD I put in.

1. The DVD will play perfectly.

2. The DVD will play but the picture will be so badly blurred that you can't make out what is on the screen.

I have searched this forum for possible solutions and have tried reducing the number of colours from 32-Bit Colour down to 16-Bit colour but this doesn't make a difference.

I have Windows XP with SP2 installed on it. Does anyone know what else I could try so I can watch all DVDs on my computer.

JonnyTub 12:29 29 Sep 2004

what drive make is it?

mitchamm 13:11 29 Sep 2004

The DVD Player is an Affrey DD-4008E. The firmware version is number 40.

JonnyTub 13:14 29 Sep 2004

uninstall the ide channel it sits on, this is always my first line of response as it is very quick to do and rules out corrupted ide drivers very quickly, the macine will ask to be rebooted and will then install again on completion

JonnyTub 13:14 29 Sep 2004

you mention firmware, have you recently updated it?

mitchamm 13:19 29 Sep 2004

The firmware hasn't been updated for over 2 years, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Uninstalling the IDE Channel. Is that as easy as it sounds. I assume you go to the Device Manager, select IDE Controllers and uninstall the one with the DVD Drive on????

JonnyTub 13:21 29 Sep 2004

yes that's how you do it and you will be asked to reboot, when the machine reboot's it will reinstall your ide drivers, no disks needed as they are built in.

mitchamm 13:30 29 Sep 2004

Cool, am at work at the moment but will try this evening and see what happens.

JonnyTub 13:31 29 Sep 2004

ok, it may not solve your problem but will rule out the most common problems associated with this type of error. that is driver based one's, let us know ow you get on.

€dstowe 13:40 29 Sep 2004

Is it always the same discs that give problems or does the same disc play sometimes and not others?

The reason I ask is that I have a DVD which just refuses to play on one computer but is perfectly OK on others and on standalone players. The computer plays all other discs we've tried so it may be one of those inexplicable things that happen sometimes.

mitchamm 13:51 29 Sep 2004

If a DVD doesn't play, then it will never play. One of the films that doesn't play is The Matrix, yet My Big Fat Greek Wedding works perfectly. Haven't tried these in another computer yet, but both work fine when played in my standalone DVD player.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?