DVD playback problems

tonyx1302 10:48 30 Aug 2006

When trying to play a pre-recorded dvd on my desktop the disk is not recognised in my D or E drive. I have finalised the pre-recorded disk and it plays ok in a stand alone dvd player but not on my pc. I have Windows Media Player v10 and jetAudio installed on my xp home system . Do I need a different prog to be able to view dvds?

With thanks

Tony

Belatucadrus 11:14 30 Aug 2006

It could be a codec issue, try the K-Lite codec pack click here or click here AVS DVD player as it has it's own DVD codec. The video player comes with a trial of the commercial AVS video tools, but it's easy to delete.

BigMoFoT 11:22 30 Aug 2006

A 3rd party DVD decoder - The AVS DVD player mentioned by Belatucadrus will work fine as will Powerdvd or WinDVD - don't think the K-Lite codec pack is worth bothering with...

tonyx1302 11:26 30 Aug 2006

Morning Belatucadrus and thanks for your reply. I don't understand or know anything about codecs or what they do but am happy to d/load your suggested AVs DVD player, but will I have to make any settings changes to install it. I would be loathed to do this as I would be going into unknown areas and my pc is running so well at this moment !

Tony

Belatucadrus 17:28 30 Aug 2006

The only thing that probably needs doing is the uninstall of the Commercial AVS tools trial after you're loaded the download, as it's just a limited taster to try and get you to buy it. Fortunately it comes with it's own uninstaller that clears it out efficiently enough without harming the player. Other than that I don't think there are any settings changes to make.

rdave13 23:53 30 Aug 2006

Have a look here and scroll to the WMP 10 paragraph.

rdave13 23:53 30 Aug 2006
  tonyx1302 11:18 31 Aug 2006

Hi Belatucadrus and sorry for the delay in getting back. I d/loaded and run AVS dvd player successfully but my pc still tells me to put a disk in E or D drive even when I have put one in.
I formatted and finalised the dvd after recording from the TV and it plays ok on my laptop but not on my desktop.
I have also tried a shop brought dvds on my desktop but they are not recognised either and when I open My Computer it is not shown as loaded.

Any thoughts would be very welcome

Tony

tonyx1302 12:42 31 Aug 2006

Following on from this, could it be that CD writer drive is not working properly. How can I check that my E / D drives are ok ?

Tony

Belatucadrus 13:31 31 Aug 2006

It could be a DVD read laser problem, but if that's the case it isn't going to read DVDs of any description, try a standard pre recorded DVD, see what happens.

tonyx1302 13:36 31 Aug 2006

Thanks. Have tried pre-recorded dvd but get the same 'please insert disk......

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?