DVD playback problems

Pineman100 15:34 23 Oct 2005

I've just bought a new computer running Win XP Media Center. I've successfully recorded a TV programme on to my hard drive, and then burned it to a DVD-RW. However, I find that the DVD player attached to my TV will not recognise this DVD at all. And when I ask Windows Media Center to play the programme back direct from the DVD, it also won't recognise it. However I can successfully get Media Center to copy the movie back from the DVD on to my hard drive, and then show it on my monitor.
Can anyone please tell me how to create a DVD from a recorded TV programme that will play back on my ordinary DVD player on my TV?

eedcam 16:14 23 Oct 2005

Have you tried using a DVD-R or + some players wont play RW's Check your players manual for which formats it will play

pj123 16:15 23 Oct 2005

I would suggest you don't use a DVD-RW disk.

The DVD recordable disks I use are DVD-R and I don't have any problems playing them back (once they have been finalised) on any DVD player.

woodchip 16:19 23 Oct 2005

first the dvd player as to be able to play the discs not all support Kodak and jpeg etc. second the dvd need to be a mpeg1 file to be able to play on the above

Pineman100 16:19 23 Oct 2005

So should I regard both rewritable DVDs and CDs as likely to give me problems?

Pineman100 16:22 23 Oct 2005

I notice that you say: "...once they've been finalised". Windows Media Center doesn't seem to offer any options for this in its "Burn DVD" function. You just start the burn, and it reports when it's finished. Do you think I can assume that it is finalising the DVD?

Thanks for your help with this.

pj123 17:14 23 Oct 2005

Pineman100.

"So should I regard both rewritable DVDs and CDs as likely to give me problems?"

Technically, yes. CD rewritables are very unstable and I don't use them anymore. I am not sure about DVD rewritables though, as I haven't tried them.

"Windows Media Center doesn't seem to offer any options for this in its "Burn DVD" function. You just start the burn, and it reports when it's finished. Do you think I can assume that it is finalising the DVD?"

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I use Nero to burn to CD and DVDs and always get the option to "finalise" or not.

Maybe someone else on the Forum knows the answer to that.

eedcam 18:19 23 Oct 2005

I think you will find windows media player doesn't do dvd's suitable for external players

CMC 42 18:23 23 Oct 2005

I use DVD-RW and have never had a problem (though I tend to use them for data).

It may be that the files containing the program are in a format that isn't recognisable by your DVD player.

Use MPEG format and then use a program like nero vision xpress to configure the disc so that it plays in your external DVD player.

CMC 42 18:25 23 Oct 2005

"I notice that you say: "...once they've been finalised". Windows Media Center doesn't seem to offer any options for this in its "Burn DVD" function. You just start the burn, and it reports when it's finished. Do you think I can assume that it is finalising the DVD?"

This may well be the problem, some extrenal DVD players cant play unfinalised discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?