dvd playback issue

liverpoolee 14:46 01 Jun 2007

hi new member here,
i've searched for hours on many forums for any relevant information to my problem but to no avail.
Just recently, putting DVD-movies in my PC has resulted in stuttering playback, regardless of the playback software. Also, the mouse and general responsiveness of the PC stutters to an absolute snails pace.the same thing applies to other files such as vobs.avi's,divx etc.
the pc will play files like youtube video's ok.
i've even tried reformatting the drive,still nothing.i've checked all IDE cables and connectors inside the machine as well.
i'm not absolutely certain but it may coincide with me putting a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS graphics card in it late last year.but how will that affect it?.
i'm really banging my head against a brick wall here.any help appreciated........lee

johndrew 15:11 01 Jun 2007

Have you tried using a cleaner disk on the DVD/CD? They have a small brush in the playing surface that cleans the laser lens as it rotates. A dirty lens caused me problems recently and cleaning it not only made DVDs play smoother/properly but the colour seemed better as well.

postie24 16:35 01 Jun 2007

Try downloading the latest codec pack

liverpoolee 12:14 03 Jun 2007

hello again.just tried the latest codec package.also put a dvd lens cleaner in as well.problem is still the same.also the problem occurs on both dvd drives in my machine.but dvd games play absolutely fine on it.its doing my head in.

[email protected] 12:32 03 Jun 2007

in device manager
ide ata/atapi controllers expand to show secondary ide channel
uninstall secondary ide channel and reboot

[email protected] 12:36 03 Jun 2007

also while in device manager check primary channel/properties/advanced that its not in pio mode

[email protected] 12:42 03 Jun 2007

heres a guide fyi
click here

liverpoolee 13:26 03 Jun 2007

fao the raven.just tried that mate.still the same

postie24 17:39 03 Jun 2007

Try clearing out the upper and lower filters in registry.
Can help get the optical drives running properly.

Create a restore point 1st,then follow these instructions.
1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Exit the registry.
12.Reboot comp.

liverpoolee 19:32 03 Jun 2007

fao postie.tried that mate.the upperfilters and lower filter thingies weren't even in there.

johndrew 09:45 04 Jun 2007

I`m grabbing at straws here.

Have you tried shutting down any other applications that may be using CPU time or RAM whilst trying to run the DVD. It is possible that, for example, your anti-virus is doing checks and causing the process to be interrupted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017