DVD play & Internet access problems

Herrkutz 20:12 20 Apr 2008

During the past couple of days I've had problems accessing certain websites and also with accessing pages within certain certain sites after successfully opening their home pages. As I wasn't able to get into my favourite "Griddlers" puzzle site I decided to play a DVD. But I find that I can't do that either. When trying to play a DVD using RealPlayer it tells me that the system needs to download new software to be able to play. I click OK and an automatic download attempt is made. But it isn't successful. A further message appears saying that I must have DVD software installed on my computer to play DVDs. Although I haven't used my PC for DVDs recently I'm sure that software was installed and I certainly have removed it. The only thing I have done is to delete cookies a couple of days ago. But surely that shouldn't have affected anything. I then tried using Windows Media Player. That doesn't work either. It tells me that it cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder isn't installed on my computer. I followed links via Web Help to a site called Roxia I think. And I then experienced the same problem as highlighted above. I.E., I got to their home page immedaitely but the screen froze when I attempted to purchase a download. Can anybody please advise what I need to do? I assume that the 2 problems are related. Many thanks in anticipation.

brundle 20:44 20 Apr 2008

You don't mention OS or internet access method, so I can only generalise.
For starters (and taking one problem at a time), the internet issue may be an MTU problem; click here

Full scans with antivirus and antispyware too.

Joe R 21:49 20 Apr 2008

Herrkutz,

firstly, you won't be able to play a dvd without a dvd codec installed. The K=lite codec pack (free download) will solve that click here

Also what security software are you using,? as it sounds like there may be some form, of Virus/Malware activity going on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone