DVD not recognised

tooter 11:55 18 Mar 2006

I have a rather elderly computer 6 years old, after fitting another mobo I found that I could not reload windows 98 because the CD rewriter drive was not recognised after running the start up floppy, it recognised the Dvd drive instead. I changed the order on the back of each drive. So that the CD drive is master and the Dvd slave with the CD first on the ribbon cable and the Dvd at the end of the ribbon cable. The CD was then recognised and I was able to load all my software and drivers including ‘Power DVD’. The problem is the Dvd drive will not play any DVD’s, when I put a DVD in the drive nothing happens, if I select the drive and select ‘start’ nothing happens if I open the drive it shows the files on the disk, if I select any of these icons nothing starts the Dvd running. When I check in the Device Manger it shows all drives working OK. The CD/Dvd players both worked fine before fitting the new mobo. I think the problem may lie with the master/slave arrangement and how they are connected to the ribbon cable and the Dvd player not recognising ‘Power DVD’. I also have a Zip so there are no spare ribbon connections available. Do you think if I reload ‘Power DVD’ it will then recognise the Dvd drive? or do you think it is due to the way I have changed the master/slave configuration so I could load the Win98 Operating System and software? I do not want to change back to the to the original configuration encase the CD rewriter fails to work. Can you tell me the best master/slave and ribbon connection for these two drives so they both work. Thanks for any help.

ACOLYTE 12:03 18 Mar 2006

Sounds like a problem with Power DVD rather than the drive itself,does the dvd drive read normal,cd's? if it does i would say reinstall power dvd from the dvd drive and see what happens.If it still doesnt work when playing normal cd's then it may be the dvd drive has gone,or the dvd lazer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?