dvd not multi regional as advertised

periwhisky 12:59 15 May 2003

I purchased a Sony DVP-NS305 from Jungle.com (now in liquidation) in October 2002. It was advertised as Multi region. I find out later it is not multi region. Before Argos (who now control jungle) will entertain any claim they want me to prove it was advertised as multi region.
Has anyone got a Jungle.com advert from October 2002 showing just that - Please, pretty please!

_Treb_ 13:05 15 May 2003

Try Tradings standards office. See your County Council Office for Tel number.

Taff36 13:12 15 May 2003

Wonder if PC Advisor ran the advert in their magazine - Come on Moderator !!!!!!

stlucia 13:15 15 May 2003

A search of Sony DVP-NS305 in Google gives several ads in which it is described as "Multiregion" or "All Region".

So perhaps it's just faulty, which is still a problem for you but a slightly different one!

Stuartli 13:18 15 May 2003

jungle.com is not in liquidation as such - it is now click here but can still be reached under jungle.com.

I've looked through the August, September and October 2002 issues of Computer Shopper; jungle only had two pages of adverts in these issues and none contains DVD players.

The April issue had nearly 30 pages, again without DVD players.

However, I've done a search on the Sony on google.co.uk and this Kelkoo page lists the Sony as a multi-region model.

As it is highly unlikely that Sony would produce both a single and multi-regional model under the same model number, this should help your cause:

click here

Stuartli 13:20 15 May 2003

As a followup to the suggestion from _Treb_, there is a Tradings Standards website, which lists TS department numbers in the UK.

Taff36 14:00 15 May 2003

All the above is true. Now go to jungle.com and follow the Argos link to DVD`s. They actually still sell the model !!!

Why not ring up your local store and ask them if it is multiregional?

tamc98 14:15 15 May 2003

Sony do not make a multi-region DVD player.
Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic players all need to be chipped to enable multi-region playback.
There are many companies that sell them ready chipped but this has been done by a third party not by the manufacturer.
I know this doesn't help you but as Sony don't make region free players you will have to rely on finding an old Jungle ad.
One of the area's that can get people confused is that DVD players sold in Britain as region 2 players will play both PAL and NTSC (north american) formated discs. Assuming they are not region coded. Most discs are!
The region code is an extra bit of software on the disc that the player looks for when the disc is put in. If the code on the disc and player don't match the disc wont play. Region free players don't do this and thus will play all PAL and NTSC disc's.
There is also the issue of RCE. I think this is for another post however.

hoverman 14:35 15 May 2003

tamc98 is absolutely correct in saying that DVD player manufacturers do not make multi-region machines. As said, chipping is done by a third party, which by the way, invariably invalidates the manufacturer's warranty. However, most reputable vendors issue their own warranty for chipped machines.

woodchip 15:16 15 May 2003

The above can be the software that is stopping it being Multi. Download DVD Genie click here

siouxah1 15:39 15 May 2003

Periwhiskey,

You refer to a standalone DVD to TV. Do not have the answer you require, but you might like to look at this page.

click here

Have no practical experience of this. At your risk I think is the phrase.

Regards Brian j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone