DVD lens cleaner

iqs 18:26 20 Apr 2009

Hi,

I'm after a DVD lens cleaner,well maybe a DVD/CD DVDROM(multi purpose).

I have seen cheap and expensive ones,but which one should I buy?.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you

Stuartli 18:29 20 Apr 2009

It's unusual to need to use a laser cleaner - the laser is normally only exposed to the environment for short periods at a time when a disk is inserted or removed.

I've never had to use one and my Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM drive, for instance, is about seven years old now.

If you do use one, the quality of the cleaning fluid is the most important factor.

iqs 18:37 20 Apr 2009

Hi Stuartli,

So I should be looking at a wet cleaning disc,not a dry disc?.
Cheers

gazzaho 03:15 21 Apr 2009

I've tried the dry ones but all they really do IMHO is remove dust that may obstruct the lens. I've used Isopropyl Alcohol on cotton buds in the past to clean the lens, doing this requires open heart surgery on the drive though and is not for the faint hearted as it requires stripping the drive down to access the lens, it's a lot simpler on my notebook as the lens is exposed.

To be honest any trouble I had with optical drives was when I smoked, my optical drives where always playing up as, over time, nicotine residue would adhere to the drive and cause errors when being used. From I kicked the habit I've never had problems at all with my optical drives.

If you're not having read/write errors with your drive I wouldn't bother with commercial cleaners, I believe the dry ones are a waste of money, and from stripping a few drives down and knowing the internal layout of these drives I honestly have to question the effectiveness of the wet type of cleaner.

Stuartli 10:42 21 Apr 2009

If you must use a laser lens cleaner, then yes.

gazzaho

Until about 18 months ago, when I decorated the front room (where my computer system is based) I'd always smoked whilst surfing or working.

I go outside now, but in all that time I've never had any problems with optical drives not working properly; it did take some time to clean up the system case and monitor though after the decorating (thank goodness for Cif!)

iqs 20:38 21 Apr 2009

Hi gazzaho and Stuartli.

My equipment has never been exposed to smoke,and I clean all my AV equipment every couple of days.So there should be no need to clean the lens??????.

Its just a few DVD's have at times produced a broken image.
So I thought perhaps the lens might need a dust.

I will probably purchase a wet disc cleaner,I have seen some named brands for around a tenner.

Will buy and use it next I have problems with a DVD.

Thanks again for your help

Stuartli 21:10 21 Apr 2009

Sony, Maxell etc offer such cleaners for under a fiver, depending on outlet.

gazzaho 21:45 21 Apr 2009

To be honest in most cases I would suspect the disks more than the drive itself, damage to disks in the form of scratches and smudges is much more likely than a dirty drive lens. However it's your money and your peace of mind, and if you deem a cleaner is necessary then who am I to argue lol.

I would, perhaps go for a wet cleaner myself if I was tempted to buy one. The wet ones profess to actually make contact with the lens itself in order to clean it and the cleaning solution with these cleaners is most often Isopropyl Alcohol based. As I've mentioned though, my main question with wet cleaners is do they in fact actually make contact with the lens in order to clean it? As there is no way of checking this there is no way of being sure.

iqs 18:18 22 Apr 2009

Noted,thanks again

Stuartli 18:34 22 Apr 2009

The CD disk used for the cleaning routine normally has a very tiny brush incorporated into the surface - as the disk goes round, the brush (plus the cleaning fluid applied to it) sweeps the laser lens of any deposits.

gazzaho 19:10 22 Apr 2009

I know the principle, but again I have to ask the question, do they actually make contact? The real question I guess is, is the distance between the surface of the disk and the laser lens consistent between all manufacturers drives and models?

The point I'm trying to make is, the only way to be sure the lens is cleaned is to actually physically clean the lens yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017