Dvd Install Issue, this is WEIRD !!

*Dan* 17:48 31 Oct 2006

Please, can anyone help. one of my Cd rom drive's stopped reading discs a couple of weeks ago. bought an NEC Dvd RW drive and fitted it at the same time upgraded the hard disk drive. Xp recognises the drive (on my Computer) and if i put a disc in prior to re-boot it will offer "boot from disc" at start up. however, once booted it will not read any disc that i insert (Cd or Dvd). what the hell could it be?? any answers or suggestions would be very welcolme. Thanks. *Dan*

jimv7 17:54 31 Oct 2006

Send it back, I'm in the process of sending my dvd back as it will not read or write to cd's, the dvd read and write is fine.

Pineman100 18:07 31 Oct 2006

Have you looked in Device Manager to see whether XP thinks the drive is working properly?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 31 Oct 2006

1.it will offer "boot from disc" at start up. 2.however, once booted it will not read any disc

1.Drive recognised abd working in BIOS
2.XP not reading the drives

In device manager unistall the drive Aldo uninstall the IDE channel the drive is plugged into (probably channel 2).
Reboot the PC and let XP find and install new hardware.
see if your discs now work.

*Dan* 14:00 02 Nov 2006

Thanks Fruit bat but still no joy :( xp did find and install the IDE etc and still shows the drive in my comp. and Pineman, device mgr says the device is working fine. this is a very strange issue !!

baldtaco 14:54 02 Nov 2006

Master/slave issues? ASPI layer? click here

*Dan* 16:24 06 Nov 2006

jimv7, you were right mate !! took it into local pc shop and they tried other drives which worked and the Dvd drive didnt !! thanks to all for help have new one on its way :)

*Dan* 16:25 06 Nov 2006

jimv7, you were right mate !! took it into local pc shop and they tried other drives which worked and the Dvd drive didnt !! thanks to all for help have new one on its way :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?