DVD identification problem

Elwell 10:57 23 Sep 2004

My machine has a Pioneer D-107 DVD-RW drive shown as drive D in My Computer. When I put a DVD disc in it the icon will change to CD Drive and when I try to use the drive a message says D inaccessible - incorrect function. I have tried -R and +R discs which the machine is supposed to use. I would be grateful if someone can tell me what is happening and what I doing wrong.

Many thanks

Dorsai 11:29 23 Sep 2004

Is it pre-recorded disks, or a blank ones that cause the preoblem?

If blank, i suspect they will need to be formated in some way before windows can see them.

Elwell 12:15 23 Sep 2004

Pre-recorded discs play ok - it is just blanks discs. I thought it might be formatting but I can't yet find a way to format the discs but I had assumed that blank discs were ready to use. These discs are quite cheap so they might not be recognised by the drive but I doubt that is the problem.

buscrew 12:19 23 Sep 2004

You don't say which OS you are using, but anything other than XP requires a third party software to make the drive work. Nero and Easy Cd Creator are the most popular, but the current issue of the mag contains two applications that will work.

Elwell 12:27 23 Sep 2004

I am using XP. I have tried Nero but I can't get around the problem that the drive is being recognised as CD rather than DVD. I can only assume it must be something to do with the discs that the drive doesn't like.

JonnyTub 12:29 23 Sep 2004

try uninstalling the drive via device manager and restarting. xp will pick the drive up again as new hardware and reinstall it if the drivers have become corrupted.

Elwell 15:10 23 Sep 2004

Have re-installed. Still shows CD Drive when DVD disc placed in drive BUT ! did get Nero to copyone of my old films. Took a lot of messing about and consequently not sure what I did to make it work. But still the icon shows CD Drive. Emailed Pioneer. They replied within 1 hour!! and said it is likely the problem lies with DVD burning software installed. I have sent them media info taken from DVDInfo and am waiting for more details of problem, hopefully.

Thanks for all help

Elwell 15:10 23 Sep 2004

Have re-installed. Still shows CD Drive when DVD disc placed in drive BUT ! did get Nero to copyone of my old films. Took a lot of messing about and consequently not sure what I did to make it work. But still the icon shows CD Drive. Emailed Pioneer. They replied within 1 hour!! and said it is likely the problem lies with DVD burning software installed. I have sent them media info taken from DVDInfo and am waiting for more details of problem, hopefully.

Thanks for all help so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)