The dvd I recorder won't play on dvd player.

catcha125 13:43 25 Mar 2005

I am new to this, but I burned a film from my pc onto a dvd and find my home dvd player will not play it. The message "cannot read disc" comes up. Can anyone help me?

tasslehoff burrfoot 13:48 25 Mar 2005

type of DVD?

Make and model of DVD player?

Software used to burn?

I'm not saying I'll be able to help, but maybe!

Cheers

Tas

Fingees 13:56 25 Mar 2005

It certinly depends on the make and model.

Older Sony's wouldn't recognise written DVD's or CD's for copyright reasons.

Many now read most disks without problem.

You must however,make sure they are recorded in the corect format, both video format and disc format ie -R or +R

catcha125 13:57 25 Mar 2005

It is NEC3520A and I used HTFireman CDDVDBurner. I received Nero software with it but I found I could not use it.

jack 14:24 25 Mar 2005

As mentioned above. DVD players vary enourmously in what they will or will not accept quite apart from zoning issues in manufactured disks.
There are several standards of format 2 sorts of ISO and 'Joliet' which I yet to find work on anything

The general standard that seems to work on most is
ISO 9660. make sure you select that and keep the burn speed down -4 to 6 it is worth the wait.

dfghjkl 14:25 25 Mar 2005

my home dvd player only recognises dvd minus disks.but the newer ones should recognise plus and minus.when i got my burner i bought a pack of each.i just use the plus ones for pc backups etc and the minus ones for anything that i might want to view on other players.

User-312386 14:28 25 Mar 2005

It really depends on what discs are recognised and the DYE

pj123 14:36 25 Mar 2005

Your DVD RW is an NEC 3520A which is multi format but what is your home DVD player?

catcha125 14:46 25 Mar 2005

It is Sony DVP-NS405 and has always played copies before. Have just burned another film using CDBurnerXP pro3 and still won't play, in pc either, message "UNKNOWN FILE FORMAT" appeared on pc. I am using RiDisc 8x DVD-R discs.

Southernboy 14:46 25 Mar 2005

and found that the DVDs they supply would not play on my home player. Checking it out, I discovered that my Toshiba player would not play any recordable discs - only commercially pressed DVDs. This is true of many older DVD players.

I bought a cheapo Sony DVD player which does play them.

I found a similar occurrence with my old Marantz CD player, which would no play CDRs. A new Marantz player will.

Ergo, if your CD/DVD player is a few years old, they are unlikely to be able to cope with new technology, which moves so fast.

SEASHANTY 17:18 25 Mar 2005

DVD-R discs will not play on home DVD players unless they are FINALISED first on the drive on which they were created.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?