DVD HAVE GONE AWOL HELP PLEASE

ray27 08:16 02 Aug 2007

I have 3 DVD drives on my system and none of them are working when I open up device manager they are all shown with the yellow exclamation mark if you look on my computer where they used to be is now blank they are not show they were marked as F an external one , D. and E
I have uninstalled the external one and reinstalled it withou any luck
The only thing I have altered recently is to install a new Ethernet Card and also install AVG75 free anti virus can anyone tell me what is wrong Any advice would be most welcome cheers Ray

ray27 08:30 02 Aug 2007

I have since noticed that Plug and Play software device enumerator in device manager is also showing the yellow exclamation mark also the creative game port, creative sb audigy and the blue tooth av/hs audio also

This happened to me the other day,i was doing a few changes and i couldnt pinpoint what the cause was.
I had to system restore to an earlier point to fix it.
Have you got Anydvd? i updated the software and it was my main suspect.

ray27 11:28 02 Aug 2007

I have tried restoring to an earlier point without any luck
The devices that have a yellow box with the ! on them in device manager are as follows, dvd drive e , dvd drive f, intel56k modem, blue tooth av/hs audio, creative game port creative sb audigy, Play software device enumerator
My ethernet connection stopped working a week ago so I installed a new card in the PCI slot and that enabled me to use the net.
I dont have anydvd
With the external drive f removed it does not appear in device manager but when I plug it in then it is recognised by device manager but with the yellow box and ! at bbot up bothje the lights on the internal dvd drives lioght up for a second like normal

HCOOH 11:49 02 Aug 2007

Sounds like a load of drivers have gone walkabout.
Have you tried uninstalling the Drives and rebooting, if that works you may be able to work your way down the list.

If not sfc /scannow may be required to try to fix the Windows files and your Audigy software to fix the others. Might suggest the Audigy path as a first try. Anyway I hope you can sort it.

ray27 12:06 02 Aug 2007

How do I install the drivers if the dvd drives are recognised and sorry to be a bit thick but what is sfc/scannow cheers ray

ray27 12:07 02 Aug 2007

it should have read NOT recognised

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:18 02 Aug 2007

In device manager

right click on each of the devices and select unistall.

with all your problem devies uninstalled then shutdown and reboot the PC.

Let XP find and install new hardware, lets s know how you get on as you may need to download some new drivers for those items that will not install properly.

HCOOH 12:20 02 Aug 2007

Start/Run type, sfc /scannow you may be asked for xp disc, it checks system files.
Sorry about the drives gaff, try the uninstall route after the scan.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 02 Aug 2007

Won't beable to do sfc if XP looks for the files on the XP CD and the DVD drive won't work.

Go the unistall route first get the DVD drives working and thn do the sfc /scannow.

HCOOH 14:35 02 Aug 2007

Might have an I386 folder on the drive so will not ask for disc, I dunno.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone