DVD formats - Can someone explain?

sammysammy 21:14 09 May 2004

I am considering buying an internal DVD writer, as I would like to take regular copies of my Digital Videos, and also have the flexibility to be able to send them to family and friends. I want to be sure that others can read the DVD's. I would also like to be able to watch the DVD through the standard DVD player in our living room.

With all the different formats out there ( DVD-R, DVD-RW etc ), which ones are a 'safe-bet'. I am not worried about performance, as this is of no interest to me. I would like some bundled software to allow me to download and edit my videos before burning to DVD.
I have fairly new computer ( 2003 ), running XP Home and has a 1.6Mhz CPU and 500M RAM.

Can someone advise on the formats and what they would allow or not allow me to do, and better still, can someone recommend a drive?

Thanks

stalion 21:32 09 May 2004

best to buy a dvd writer that can burn all formats also you need a hard drive minimum 40gb or higher.there are many writers on offer most with bundled software.Regards

stalion 21:35 09 May 2004

try here click here

Pamy 22:06 09 May 2004

There are basicaly 2 DVD formats -DVD and +DVD.

Most home DVD players will play one or the other/both/more formats.

The latest DVD burners burn both formats at various speeds.

So, as perfomance is of no interest to you , I would suggest you purchase the cheapest + and - DVD burner retail package that you can get that includes burning software.

dazzling (work) 23:27 09 May 2004

i have a sony dw10a it burns +-dvdr dvdrw but its picky about media and only likes ritek disks.my friend has a pioneer which burns anything you throw at it even the cheap discs so you may want to consider this.the other format is dvd ram which has twice the storage and it can also be edited but compatibility is more or less limited to matsushita dvds (panasonic).darren

y_not 06:00 10 May 2004

Unless you writer comes with software you will need a video editing package.

Also think about HDD space - last night I copied 44 minutes from camcorder in .avi format which took 9.33GB of HDD space.

I agree with dazzling's comments - media prices vary. My NEC likes Ritek but they tend not to be the cheapest.

rubella 11:21 10 May 2004

If you don’t need a Plextor you might like to consider Pioneer DVR-107 8x DVD±RW - OEM (CD-015-PO), although you’d have research if/any bundled software meets your needs.

The new MSI burners bundled with toys [ Ahead Nero Burning ROM, CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 Software, Sonic MyDVD + ShowBiz Software, audio cable and screws], could be worth a peak too.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?