DVD format compatability for newbie please??

stugra 20:16 18 Nov 2004

I am about to dive into a digital camcorder. I have purchased a firewire port card to get the data onto my PC, but know I will then have to burn to DVD.

Which DVD burner format should I buy to be able to play the DVD on my normal Panasonic DVD player please??

I am eyeing a Samsung DVD-R and DVD+R compatible burner (with RW facility). Is this good?

Thanks

TomJerry 20:33 18 Nov 2004

what is model. Generally, you can get latest model dual format dual (double) layer, 12x speed around £50, so shop around.

As you DVD player compatability noone really know. Just try ouit yourself. My experience, +R, -R no problem. -RW no problem, +RW some disc brand OK and some disc brand Not. As for player, cheap Chinese players handle better than expensive famous brands.

TomJerry 20:33 18 Nov 2004

what is model. Generally, you can get latest model dual format dual (double) layer, 12x speed around £50, so shop around.

As you DVD player compatability noone really know. Just try ouit yourself. My experience, +R, -R no problem. -RW no problem, +RW some disc brand OK and some disc brand Not. As for player, cheap Chinese players handle better than expensive famous brands.

stugra 20:36 18 Nov 2004

Model of burner is Samsung TS-H552B £40 in PC World (for once they seem to be the cheapest!!)

TomJerry 22:17 19 Nov 2004

I used Samsung CDRW before and satisfied.

stugra 11:48 20 Nov 2004

For the info of other newbies - my 3 yr old panasonic dvd player, according to panasonic, will not accept dvd -r or +r disks. A consideration when you are costing going into digital home movies - will just watch them on my PC for now until VCR goes down and have excuse for a dvd recorder for the telly!!!

SEASHANTY 13:55 20 Nov 2004

The latest Panasonic DVD players will play most DVD
formats including DVD-RAM discs. One of the few players that will play RAM discs.

woodchip 14:12 20 Nov 2004

You should check that your DVD player will play Home made DVD's

Rayuk 16:05 20 Nov 2004

Go click here
See if your DVDplayer is listed and whether it will play dvdr- or + etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?