DVD drives not working properly - help!

Dazzledoc 20:59 26 Jun 2007

I have found that my DVD-ROM/RAM drives are not working anymore. I am not sure when this happened as I do not use them often. Both drives will not read CD-ROMs or DVDs but will play audio CDs. When a DVD/CD-ROM is in the drive and I click on it, the message "please insert a disk into drive I" appears (or a blank window appears for the DVD RAM drive). I have looked through various forum replies. The drives appear in device manager and each reports that it is working properly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling each drive and the regedit removal of high and low filters but the problem remains. However, when I went to safe mode (to try uninstalling) I found that the drives both work OK - they read CD-ROMs and DVDs, but in the normal Windows environment they do not. I tried running sfc but of course I could not access my Windows CD to restore any files. So I tried to run sfc in Safe mode but got the specific error code 0x000006ba [the RPC server is unavailable]. I ran Spyware Doctor to see if it was a malware problem but no change.

I did make some changes to my computer recently which involved deleting a HD partition and changing the drive letters of the DVD drives. Unfortunately I cannot restore to before these changes due to the HD partition changes.

I am at a loss now as to how to get these drives working again. It seems to be a software problem as they work in Safe mode. I noticed, in Device Manager, that the multimedia controller has a yellow ! and ? against it reporting that no driver is installed. The wizard could not find a driver online but I read somewhere that it is not essential anyway.

Please can anyone solve this problem for me?
Thank you

STREETWORK 21:08 26 Jun 2007

Go to the PC manufacturers website or the CD/DVD website and download and install new drivers. The Yellow mark suggests that drivers are not installed. windows can help sometimes and you could try the add new hardware from control panel, if the drivers are still on the Pc it may reinstall them for you..

ICF 21:09 26 Jun 2007

What is your system spec?

Dazzledoc 21:16 26 Jun 2007

The computer is a Medion MD 8000 Pentium 4 2.66GHz with 768MB RAM running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. The HDD is 120GB. The DVD Writer is a LG GSA 4163A. Not sure and the DVD-ROM is labelled JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-165H.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 26 Jun 2007

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

Dazzledoc 23:15 26 Jun 2007

I tried to install those files but it did not give me the option to open those folders. When I tried other folders that I could open it told me the new files were no better or something.

Dazzledoc 23:25 26 Jun 2007

I have got both drives working finally but only for the session I am working. If I restart my computer neither drive works. To get them to work I have to disable them (not uninstall - this does not work) which requires me to restart my computer again (tedious delay). I then go to Device Manager and enable each of them and they work.

Any ideas how to fix this so that they simply work on the first bootup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017