dvd drives not working

spud10 18:42 03 Oct 2006

Hi,
I am having a major problem with my Dell 8300 PC.
Over the last week it is taking longer to boot up and both the dvd rom and dvd+rw drives refuse to read any disks. I have scanned for viruses, spyware, malware and any other damaging software but all the security software reports that the system is free from infection. I use avast antivirus, zonealarm firewall, spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster on my system.
I have checked the drives in the device manager and the message reports that they are working correctly.
If I try to rip tracks from an audio cd the ripper program will not start up until I eject the disk and then it may or may not read the disk.
I have tried to reinstall the atapi drivers but when I check it with the program atapi check it tells me that some of it is not installed properly.
Any ideas on what is causing the problem would be gratefully appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 03 Oct 2006

Attapi Incompatible
click here

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this click here
if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

spud10 22:49 03 Oct 2006

The drives are apperaing in explorer and the device manager. I have sonic record now and nero 6 installed. If I try to play any mp3 files which were ripped using nero they refuse to open but can be played using windows media player.
Any idea what could be causing this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?