dvd drives for computers, region free?

chris6891 20:29 11 Mar 2003

hi, just a quick querie, i'm quite interested in buying dvd's from america, and playing them over here, and since we're region 2, and theyre region 1, this could pose a problem. My computer has a dvd drive on it and dvd playing software, so just a quick question, can i play these movies on my computer without being denied access? As my computer can be linked to the tv problem free, this would be ideal. Otherwise ill have to spend money and buy the multi-region disk so i can watch em on me xbox. Thanks, Chris

fitcher 20:56 11 Mar 2003

if you go into my computer hardware devices and right click on your dvdrom drive you will see it give you five choices to change only .five regions bien sur

Installer. 22:06 11 Mar 2003

Do a search with the details of your drive with "rpc1".

You can in some cases, flash the firmware of your drive to make it region free "rpc1".

This is a risky procedure akin to flashing your bios, perhaps made worse by using unknown software.

3tg 22:30 11 Mar 2003

I tried that and could not find hardware devices, OS is Win98

boon_intheuk 22:41 11 Mar 2003

I use a program called "zone selector" it allows you to pick the region you want to use each time you play a DVD by opening your DVD player from within the program,it also allows you to disable macrovision, download for free from click here
Boon.

hamelin 22:50 11 Mar 2003

Chris, have a look at this until someone comes up with a free one for us to try: click here

A15 22:52 11 Mar 2003

The answer to your question is yes, you should be able to make your drive region free, but it depends upon the model of DVD drive as to how dificult this will be. First find the model number from your sytem properties, then check against a website like click here or from click here following the recommended procedure should remove RPC protection from your drive. you will then need software to fool your DVD software into thinking that the region protection is in place & working correctly. I use Remote Selector from click here There is a registration fee but the program is excellent & has never let me down yet. Also as ßéŁâ says you may need to make sure that your DVD playing software can output in NTSC or convert NTSC to pal signals for your TV as my old Creative setup used to.

eccomputers 23:37 11 Mar 2003

I used this freebie and it worked.

click here

SEASHANTY 12:00 12 Mar 2003

If your TV is not NTSC capable you will need a
standalone multi region dvd player. But NOTE the
cheaper models of these players do not chanmge the PAL signals to NTSC. For a decent player which will change the system, give you macrovision free, includes free delivery by Omega Express check out <click here> for a selection of R.F. players some with comined DVD and VCR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?